Irish Trip Day 3 The Burren


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Clare
May 29th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sheep with a tail!Sheep with a tail!Sheep with a tail!

This sheep was just at the side of the road (aren't they all?) and we were all ffascinated with its tail as we have not seen this before.
We slept in a great YHA in Lisdoonvarna which is right in the middle of the Burren. Great rooms (we always get a private family room) and lots of other rooms like a reading room and even a bar with pool table etc. So Herve and I went in for a sleepy Guinness after the girls were put to sleep...we weren't far behind them as we were too tired to enjoy it. We decided to stay here another night to break up too much driving

First morning trip was out to the Cliffs of Moher which is very close to the YHA. Spectacular and extremely unnerving. There is a section you can walk out on to without a rail which is frightening (well' for me anyway) From the Clis we could see a beach ar down below so we drove down there and played on the sand. Of-course meaning that the girls played and we lounged around across some rocks. Very relaxing.



Drove off to have lunch in a pub and came across a nice restaurant in a town called Ennistimon. This time we passed up the pub as it was a beautiful day and the food at this place looked good. We were each getting into a routine of ordering. Herve always got soup (veg or seafood chowder, Lauren usually got a roast, Christine usually got a toasted sandwich, chips and salad and I got anything sounding vaguely Irish. This time I had ham and cabbage which was delicious although there was way too much.

After lunch we drove off to see the megalithic tombs and stone forts of the area. Poulabrone is as intriguing as you are lead to believe from the travel books, especially when you are alone with no other tourists. It is eery and stoic. But it is really the landscape all around you that is the most stunning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.361s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 14; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb