The Ring of Kerry


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry
March 20th 2007
Published: March 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our last day in Ireland was spent driving the Ring of Kerry. Kerry boasts some of the most beautiful scenery in Ireland, and rightfully so.

We started out from Cork and drove to Killarney. From there was drove the Ring clock-wise, much against the suggested route, which I understood by the end of the day.

Our first site were the Lakes of Killarney. I'm not sure how to describe it. Just peak down at the pics to get an idea. We must have pulled the car over half a dozen times in that first hour to look at the scenery. My most unwanted and frustrating traveling companion, who also happened to be the driver (due to the fact that neither I nor Gaby are actually old enough to drive a rental vehicle) insisted on stopping every few miles. We had to be back in Dublin by eleven that night, and we had already had a late start due to that same traveling companion, so the trip took on a high stress level, which skyrocketed outside Kildare and the amazingly dangerous roads. Arguing is not a good idea on those roads!

We didn't crash though. I just put on my iPod and ignored Richie for the rest of the trip. We stopped at Ballinskelligs Castle for lunch and spoke with the shopkeeper. She suggested a more scenic route that what we had planned, but we agreed to it and I am thankful we did. It was incredible. Another hour in the car with Richie was a small price to pay. We had to take a ferry once we reached Valentia, but the fee was only a few euros and we were able to get out of the car and strectch for a bit (and get away from Richie).

After the Skelligs Ring, most of the scenery from that point was beautiful, but not as heart-breakingly stunning as the first leg of our journey. At that point I understoood the suggested counter-clockwise route. We made it out in one piece, hurray! I had serious doubts a couple of times during the day but luckily someone likes me up there!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb