Full Irish Breakfast Anyone?


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry » Killarney
June 15th 2008
Published: June 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yes please! Ok, so we headed over to Kilkenny after Dublin and rode on our first train, which was amazing. I am now in love with train rides; they are comfy and you have a table to play cards on! So Kilkenny is a really Irish town that it is very small with a bad ass castle. We did a tour of this castle (after taking a tour of the castle grounds, which we both took the opportunity to pee on our first castle!) and during this tour we came upon a huge marble table. Whilst Dillon was sitting upon this table the guide goes on to tell the group that it was used to lay the dead bodies on during the wake. So he was embarassed and stood up quickly, then proceeded to exclaim, ''Shit!'', after she let us know it was bad luck for life to touch it... It was funny even if he did get the evil eye the rest of the tour from some stuck up people. So then we had some lamb stew and irish stew which were both delicious, only 60 bucks for those 2 beers and an irish bread pudding (dillon was hungry still of course). We went to a few pubs that night had a few beers or 8 for dillon but one Bulmers cider was free for each of us dad! So, we had to leave the last place cause i may have accidently (or not) threw a chunk of paper inside somebodies glass and they didnt like it too much. No problem though just awkward!
The morning after (today) was the most awesomest. We get up at 7am to get an early start and head down to get breakfast somewhere and no one is open. no one except for the 24hr shopping market so dillon ate 4 bags of chips and a candy bar for breakfast, so far. So we head down to the train station which is about a 20min walk and realize its not open for a couple hours and turn back dejected. And what do we need to perk up our spirits? A full irish breakfast of course! And that's what unfolds as we are walking back to our hostel and i see 2 old men walking into an unmarked building. I quickly ask them if they are getting breakfast and they say yes and lead us inside this super posh room with one of the biggest bars made all of marble and mahogany. We follow them down a corridor and through a hallway into this naturally lit room. The ceiling was vaulted with stain glass windows and plants hanging down. It was beautiful in there and we quickly looked for a menu to see what kind of financial trouble we were into. So, let me first say that we looked at breakfast prices earlier in some crappy cafes and they were all at least 9 euro. now, this menu had prices of 7.50 euro for a full breakfast! so we were stoked and ready to dig in. we hit the continental breakfast bar with fresh fruit and my favorite chocolate pastries. we then proceed to order our full irish breakfast. Although, the menu we recieved was different... This one had no prices! so we were kind of freaked out because we knew it was to good to be true. Our breakfast came and included 2 sausages, 2 huge (real) pieces of bacon, one delicious egg, 4 pieces of toast, white and black pudding(pigs blood which i made dillon try and werent too bad), and coffee or tea. It was delicious!!!!!! So we figured it was so good the price didnt matter. Now here comes the scary part, we get the check and it has no total on it and the waitress tells us to go to reception because her till is broken. On the bill it says 2 full bfast and 2 full continentals. so we felt we got doubly screwed and even though we were stuffed we still managed to eat more pastries and drink more milk. So, we go to what we think is reception and find out it is a couple doors up the street, outstide... Dillon is stoked because he thinks, sweet free meal! And i think shit im going to feel like crap cause i could totally dine and ditch no problem but i am going to pay cause i ate the food. so we find it and i timidly tell the receptionist we need to pay. she looks at me and smiles, looks at the check and says hmmm, ok that'll be 10 euro. I hear dillon yell Sweet! and i just fumbled for the money and said thanks then rushed us out in case it was some sort of mistake. so it was 5 euro each. now yes, i took a very long time on this story but it was so exciting because when you are as hard up on money as we are cause beers are 5 euro each it is like a godsend to get a full good meal for so cheap. it was amazing, we actually contemplated going back 30 min later just for the hell of it.
Well we are in Kilarney now to do the ring of karey but we have to bypass it because of train conflicts. So it is a nice town and aim glad i got to see it but no big deal cause i will see the ring in a couple months anyways!

ok peace out!




Advertisement



16th June 2008

Hope you remember
Hope you remember where this amazing breakfast place is or it's name. It sounds like a really neat place. We may want to visit it in September.

Tot: 0.25s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb