Carl & Nanci In Ireland


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry » Dingle Peninsula
July 14th 2008
Published: July 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

July 13 & 14

Sunday was an easier biking day. We only biked 25 kilometers but the first 10 were uphill through the mountain gap. The uphill was not too bad but then we took a back road down the other side of the mountain and did the down hill in 3 kilometers with a number of hairpin turns. I think the downhill was harder (certainly on the nerves) than the uphill.

We then took a “ferry” (see picture) for about an hour and a half ride through the Killarney National Forest and ended at Ross Castle in Killarney. Once there we took the van about 90 kilometers to Dingle.

Monday dawned with mist in the air. A 55 kilometer trip was taken around the Dingle Peninsula coast line. Again the scenery was magnificent. There were a number of archeological sites along the way, including a rectory that was built around 600 AD; its unmortared stone walls and roof are still waterproof.

The Dingle Peninsula is the most westernly location in Europe. One of the more interesting historical events is the journals kept by St. Brendon (approximately 400 - 500 AD) describing travels from Brandon Creek to Iceland and then to Newfoundland.

In the Dingle Peninsula the spoken language is Gaelic. One of the only locations in Ireland this language is still spoken.

We continue to have a great time. Hope all of you are doing well.

Nanci & Carl



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb