Day 9 Of Carl & Nanci's Trip to Ireland


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry » Dingle Peninsula
July 13th 2008
Published: July 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

July 12

The “Agony and the Ecstasy” was the theme of today. We rode a 70 Kilometer ride from Castletown Bearhaven to Kenmare today. The route was not direct as we rode on the “Ring of Beara”, for the first 20 Kilometers, which is the narrow coastal road through rugged terrain. While each curve brought us an outstanding view, it was at times torture getting there. On one hill, thankfully short, it was hard to even push the bikes to the top. The second half of the ride was not as scenic but much easier.

One of the towns we passed through was Eyries which was quite colorful and clean (see pictures). It seems there is a competition each year for the title of “Tidy Town”. Last year Eyries took the silver medal. Hard to believe another town could be quainter than Eyries.

Kenmare is a town on the Kenmare River. One of the specialties here is lace making and there are many lace stores in town, along with woolen mills. Tonight we are staying at a beautiful Bed & Breakfast location. When we checked in the proprietor asked if she could “put on the kettle for us”.

The first couple of days of the trip we saw more cows, but the last two days we have seen many more sheep. The reason likely being the ruggedness of the terrain.

Carl and Nanci



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb