Day 5- Ireland


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry » Dingle Peninsula
September 13th 2007
Published: September 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Greetings friends,

I had hoped to write earlier, however we have traveled to some of the more remote areas where they have not yet invented internet😊

Here is a summary of our trip so far:
There are 11 people in our group. There is 1 from Scotland, 2-Boston, 2- Penn, 1 from Germany, 2 from Austria, and myself. Ages range from early 20's to 50's.

Since leaving Dublin a few day ago we have visted Kildare, Portlaoise where we vistied Dunamase Caste, and did some hiking. We traveled through Durrow, to Cashel where we visited one of Ireland's most spactacular structures- The Rock of Cashel. We then traveled to Caher to see Cahir Castle. From there, we traveled to Cork, which is the second largest city in Ireland. There I was blessed with the "gift of gab" by kissing the Blarney stone at Blarney Castle. We also took a cave walk. We stayed the night in Gougane Barra at a wonderful B&B in the National Forest. It was awesome.

Later we departed for Glengarrif in the Beara pennisula over in southwest Ireland. There we hiked for most of the day through the mountains. The scenery was unbelieveable. We kayaked in Bantry Bay and saw seals in Adrigole. We passed thru the Healy Pass, visited the Stone circle in Castletown. We then went over to Dursey Island for more hiking through Garnish Point and visited various pubs.

Next, we drove thru Kenmare for shopping and Molls Gap, SNeem and Staigue Fort in Castle Cove. This is were the Chieftans were initiated centuries ago. The stories are quiet wicked. From there we were able to visit Derrynane House for some history and garden walks.

Yesterday, we rode by ferry to the Skellig Islands where we hiked, literally, straight up the cliffs to visit and ancient monestary. The island is uninhabited today and only a handful of people are allowed on each day. We were able to spot dolphins on our way over and back which was great. They are very friendly creatures and I was surprised how close they came to our boat. It was "really cool." We also were able to boat passed Puffin Island, a bird sanctuary where no humans are allowed. We stayed in Portmagee.

Later we took the ferry over to Valentia Island for a visit to the Kerry Bog village and and irish coffee. There we experienced horseback riding on the Irish Countryside and along the beach in Glenbeigh. An amazing experience with the most beautiful scenery as a backdrop.

Last night we stayed a little farther up the coast in the town of Dingle. We have had great Irish food and music every night. I found that Johnny Cashs' "The ring of fire" is quite popular here. Last night we heard it at least 4 times in different pubs.

Today we are leaving Dingle and traveling north to leave 1 member and pick up 3 more.
The trip has been wonderful with suprisingly warm weather. It has not rained once since we have been here; I would consider that the luck of the Irish. The temperature is around 60-65, perfect for hiking up and down the mountains.

Not sure if I'll have access elsewhere; we'll give it a shot if the opportunity arises.
We are now off for more adventure. Peace.

j



Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb