Dublin to Galway and back to Booterstown!


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway
September 13th 2019
Published: September 16th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Lovely blue skies greet us as we take the train to Galway. A lovely lady named Berna sits beside me on the journey. She taught school for 40 years, and raised a Downs syndrome son whom she wrote a book about. Berna presented me with a copy of this booklet at the conclusion of our train trip.

Galway means stony river. In 1477 Christopher Columbus visited here. On arriving, the weather changes to drizzle. We devour bowls of steaming seafood chowder at Hooked restaurant, and then stroll through Nun Island featuring canals and waterfalls.

The following day takes us to the center of the city, and grand public park Eyre Square. It is sometimes referred to as the John F. Kennedy Memorial Park as he visited Galway and gave a speech in the square in June of 1963. Close by is pedestrianised Shop Street with ancient buildings, stores selling cozy woven items, and many entertaining buskers.

We decide to take a short bus ride to the village of Kinvara to view the Dunguaire Castle. Built in 1520, it was purchased in 1954 by Christobel Lady Amptill. She lived alone in the castle for 20 years and was known for her outstanding hunting skills. It seems dark, dank, and dreary. Now the town hosts medieval feasts weekly within.

Ooh the weather is ugly today. So it is a good thing we are returning to Dublin and back into the same Gleesons Townhouse where we got bumped before. Since then, they have treated us royally, and it feels a bit like home. A must stay if you visit Dublin. Ask for Room 105, and Charlie Gleeson.

Tidbits:


• The Irish like to use the word Brilliant.
• Seniors have free transportation on buses and trains.
• A black and white pudding is served with breakfast. Think it is head cheese.
• There is zero tolerance for drinking and driving, so the pubs are suffering.
• The news reported that there are 2,000 homeless children in Ireland and that teachers are taking these families laundry home to wash. Focus Ireland states that the numbers of homeless families has increased 178% since June 2015.



We love Ireland, it is a great place!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



17th August 2021
Our good friend, Charlie Gleeson, Booterstown.

Thanks for staying!
Hey guys, I just came across this now. I hope you enjoyed your trip and got home safely! I look forward to seeing you again soon! Charlie.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb