Go west to Galway


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Galway
September 14th 2014
Published: September 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our driving adventures allowed us to see the beautiful Irish countryside. First was Dublin to Galway with a stopover at the peaceful Irish National Stud and Japanese Gardens in Kildare. We spent a good hour wondering around before grabbing a hot drink and sweet snack at the restaurant - nice way to break up the drive.
A couple more hours on the road until we found ourselves in the Galway city centre - parking was difficult, to say the least!! Anyway, only one night to check it all out so quick showers and then up the street to look around the main square. We were gifted a guide book for Ireland (or at least we think so...we took it anyway) from our host in Dublin. Georgia read it most if the drive over and found us a place outside of town to have dinner - Moran's Oyster Cottage. She ordered a 1 and 1/2 pound lobster dish!! I enjoyed watching her carefully pulling out every scrap of meat with the special tools provided. Had to help her crack some of the leg parts - neither of us demonstrating natural skill! Very full stomachs yet again - no room for desert. "Sometimes it doesn't harm ya" said the waiter with his lovely Irish accent, upon hearing that we wouldn't be interested in seeing the desert menu because we were so full. I should've replied (in my best mock English / Essex accent) "are you calling me fat?"
Dammit why can't I ever think if these things at the time?! It wasn't until after he had walked off that I thought, hang on...
Galway seems to be claiming to have 'the best in Ireland' of a lot of things. Many Dublin locals told us we should spend more than just 1 night here - oh well, off to Kilkenny tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb