A Day in Galway


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Galway
May 8th 2023
Published: May 16th 2023
Edit Blog Post

After another nice breakfast at the B&B, we hopped on the Hop On Hop Off bus and rode around, to see what was what and quickly made friends with the driver. It was raining most of the time so we stayed under cover on the top level. Rode a bit later in the day and got some shots in the afternoon when clearer.

went to the Sweater shop near the Spanish Arch; lots from which to choose. All available on the website, of course. Something to be said for buying them IN Ireland? Shipped home (“for free”) which helps you buy more!

Went to McDonagh’s, recommended by every guidebook, for the fish and chips. The place opened at noon and, when we arrived at about ten after, was packed. Quick service; Mike had the oysters and I had onion rings in place of chips. All very good, as was the atmosphere.

We wandered on up the Latin Quarter, stopped for a beer here and there, and scoped out possible dinner spots. Rode the bus around again and got off up at Eyre Square. Had great dinner at An Pucan, and headed on up to the B&B. Walked past it and found a greyhound racing/rugby arena!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Latin QuarterLatin Quarter
Latin Quarter

Mike’s back in grey sweater
Spanish ArchSpanish Arch
Spanish Arch

“The most underwhelming tourist site in Galway”. Near the City Museum and on the edge of the river. Had originally been four arches; many imports were from Spain. A portion of the wall was destroyed by a tsunami caused by the 1755 earthquake in Portugal.
ArchesArches
Arches

The left one is the Spanish Arch; the right one has a wall behind it and is called the Blind Arch. The Spanish Arch provides access to the Long Walk.
The Long WalkThe Long Walk
The Long Walk

Mentioned in the original poem; ed Sheeran made the video for his Galway Girl song there
Mike and the Galway GirlMike and the Galway Girl
Mike and the Galway Girl

Her lap is very shiny from so many people sitting on it. Mike stuck to holding her hand and chatting with her.
Salt HillSalt Hill
Salt Hill

Vacation hotspot. Very popular Promenade along the beach.
Ladies BeachLadies Beach
Ladies Beach

From when women were not allowed to dive
Diving platformDiving platform
Diving platform

Cold or warm, rain or shine, folks will be there.


Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb