We're Here!


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Galway » Clifden
April 29th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kevin and Erin at Kylemore AbbeyKevin and Erin at Kylemore AbbeyKevin and Erin at Kylemore Abbey

Here we are, at Kylemore Abbey, a former rich man's paradise that was turned into a Benedictine nunnery. Go figure!
We're here! We arrived in Shannon on Saturday and drove from the airport to Clifden, in Connemara. Kevin got used to driving on the left really quickly, but Erin never really got used to the brushes with death every time another car passed on these tiny, tiny roads. The scenery in Co. Clare, where the airport is, is sort of typically Irish-- long, green meadows, rock walls, cows in pastures. Then we arrived in Connemara (Co. Galway) and were blown away by the beauty of this area. There are lakes and hills everywhere, peat bogs, Connemara ponies, wildflowers... it's just spectacular.

We're staying in Clifden, the largest town in the area. Like every Irish town, there's one bar to every four or five inhabitants. We went to one of the more popular spots last night and did some crack -- that's how it's pronounced, though it's actually spelled "craic," or "good talk." There are also animals everywhere -- friendly dogs, ponies, lots of sheep and cows. Our B&B has a particular fascination with cows, in fact... nearly every decoration has something to do with them. Hmm.

We came to this part of Ireland because Erin's Lacey ancestors were from
The Lake at KylemoreThe Lake at KylemoreThe Lake at Kylemore

Just beautiful here... we may never come back!
Rossadilisk, a tiny town (well, less of a town than a short street with a few houses on it). On Sunday we visted Rossadilisk and saw the old Lacey house. . We also went out to the graveyard where some of Erin's relatives are buried. It's on Omey Island, which you access by waiting for low tide and then driving across a sandbar. It was super, super windy there, but we found Mark Lacey's grave (that's Erin's great-great grandfather) and the Cleggan Disaster memorial (Mark's three sons were killed in a freak storm at sea in 1927 which devastated this area).

We also visited Kylemore Abbey and Connemara National Park, both of which are just too gorgeous for words. Kylemore is an amazing castle set on a misty lake, with Victorian gardens and its own chapel. We really enjoyed walking around the lake and admiring the views. We did a quick hike in Connemara National Park and saw ponies and some crazy longhorned goats. In short, if you're coming to Ireland, don't miss these amazing and atmospheric places. We loved them.

Anyway, it's 6 pm Sunday night
The Church at KylemoreThe Church at KylemoreThe Church at Kylemore

More from Kylemore... this time from the church aforementioned rich man built for his beloved (and dead) wife.
here, so we're going to sign off and find dinner. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Kevin in ConnemaraKevin in Connemara
Kevin in Connemara

Kevin in Connemara, not long before we reached Clifden.
Erin in ClifdenErin in Clifden
Erin in Clifden

This is Clifden, where we're staying in Connemara. It's the largest town in the area.
ClifdenClifden
Clifden

The town of Clifden.
Hello, Great-Great GrandpaHello, Great-Great Grandpa
Hello, Great-Great Grandpa

Erin at the grave of her great-great grandfather, Mark Thomas Lacey, on Omey Island.
Lacey House in RossadiliskLacey House in Rossadilisk
Lacey House in Rossadilisk

The Lacey hometown, Rossadilisk. It's more of a small street than an actual town, nestled right next to the larger harbor town, Cleggan. We went out and saw the house where Erin's great-grandfather lived.
The beach at RossadiliskThe beach at Rossadilisk
The beach at Rossadilisk

The beach next to the Lacey house in Rossadilisk.
Around the lakeAround the lake
Around the lake

Irish scenery, driving from Kylemore back to Clifden.


29th April 2007

Amazing!
You guys made it! So happy that you're enjoying your time and discovering so much about your heritage. Can't wait to hear about more!
30th April 2007

Just beautiful
These pictures are amazing!! I am so glad you got to meet Michael Lacey, I am sure your Dad is thrilled. Keep the blog coming!!
30th April 2007

How amazing! I've always wanted to see the fishing villages there. Looks like you guys are getting a great taste of it. Can't wait to see more!
1st May 2007

GREEN as the Irish hills!
I'm as green as the Irish hills, jealous that I'm not there sharing these sites along side of you. That you were able to connect with the Irish Lacey's, and visit your great, great grandfather's grave, must have been a profound experience. Made me misty eyed, thinking about it. I hope you gave Michael Lacey your email address, and can keep in touch with him. I am eagerly looking forward to the next batch of photos and text. Two weeks is way too short a time to visit, that much is obvious. Enjoy every minute of this fantastic trip and keep us all posted. We are hooked!
1st May 2007

Roots
Isn't it fun to see the place your ancestors came from. Let's see, peat bogs, fierce winds, cold and rain...now I know why they left! A nice place to visit, but...
1st May 2007

Guinness
Yeah, yeah beautiful and what not but let's get to what really matters in Ireland......Guinness. I won't be satisfied until I see you having a pint at a local pub......oh and one for me please.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb