Whiskey in the Jar - OH!


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin
January 4th 2006
Published: January 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Perfect ShamrockPerfect ShamrockPerfect Shamrock

Despite having a shaky hand..
After a bloody appaling flight from Edinburgh (I really just don't want to talk about it), we landed in Dublin and started the Irish leg of our journey.

The second day of our sojourn in Dublin (the first was a huge sleep) was very eventful. After a big Irish breakfast, Jacki and I decided to hit the Guinness Storehouse at St James' Gate. The storehouse itself was really cool and we spent hours in there, culminating in our visit to the training bar, where you get to pour your own pint of Guinness. I went first, and after pouring a really good one (the heart I tried to draw on top looked more like a squiggle or a kidney bean than anything else) recieved a certificate for pouring the perfect pint. Jacki went next, feeling rather nervous, despite pouring thousands during her years at O'Dowds. Anyway, she drew a perfect shamrock on top which completely put my squiggle bean to shame.

We then decided to try to drink some Guinness. Now, as most of you reading this know, neither Jacki or I are beer drinkers in general, let alone Guinness drinkers. We did try. We really did. And we drank about half a pint each - but to tell you the truth, Guinness tastes like vegemite on burnt toast. Not an entirely delightful taste sensation at all really. Ew.

That night, we met up with Krazy Karl and Pauline, an Irish couple who used to work at O'Dowds when they were in Aus. They took us on a mini pub crawl in the Temple Bar district of Dublin (bars, pubs and hotels as far as the eye can see). We caught a cab there, and shouldn't have been surprised when the cabbie didn't drop us at the right spot - Karl had cheekily chosen to take us to The Temple Bar in the Temple Bar - confusing enough for you? Anyway, after asking directions off the Guards (Police) we found our way there. This led to the start of a terrific night out. After the Temple Bar, we hit Charlies #2 for some chinese and then on to the Oliver St. John Gogarty Pub (try saying that after 5 pints of cider), where a sweet Irish band was playing. Jacki was trying to get them to play the songs that she knew from home - alas, even with
Lauren's turn..Lauren's turn..Lauren's turn..

With Jim from American Pie!
the fiddle player lending us his support the rest of the band wouldn't bite on our request that they play Whiskey in the Jar - OH!, Dirty Old Town, Cockles and Mussels or any other slightly familiar Irish song.

There was this mad American guy at the bar who was absolutely going off - dancing by himself and generally being a complete fool. Most of the bar was egging him on and having a laugh. After the band left - much to the disappointment of many, and none more so than crazy guy (C'mon!!) - we caught a cab home and fell into bed (despite the smell of mould, which seems to follow us everywhere).

The next morning, after waking up slightly groggy headed and with runny noses, we went on a walk around O'Connell St and surrounds, but only after having yet another Irish breakfast (I tell you they're addictive). After a fairly uneventful day we went to sleep, looking forward to our journey to Waterford in the morning.

Until Then.

Lots of love,
Lauren and Jacki.

PS. Five Things We've Learnt in Dublin so far


* Irish breakfasts are massive, warm,
Leaving our markLeaving our markLeaving our mark

They had a whole big wall were you could put these.
satisfying and delicious. Mmmm.
* Guinness isn't black because it's made with water from the Liffey.
* After over 2 years at O'Dowd's and 10 000 pints of guinness I know have a certificate to prove Im a perfect-pint-pourer.
* Lauren can cut hair. Saved me €35 and its not too shabby..
* There is a Temple Bar in the Temple Bar. Try asking that to someone without sounding like a freaken weirdo.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Dance with me..Dance with me..
Dance with me..

Lauren getting swept off her feet..
In the temple barIn the temple bar
In the temple bar

With paul & karline.. Oops. Well you know what I mean


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0446s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb