Back in Dublin


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin
September 16th 2005
Published: September 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We're back in Dublin and thought we'd make one final entry from Ireland. This one doesn't have any pictures, but on the request of some people, here are our thoughts about our time here:
The scenery was incredible. Based on the couple of pictures we sent, you can see that the terrain was rather rugged in Northern Ireland, particularly in County Antrim. When we got to the Cliffs of Moher it was raining, so those photos won't show the cliffs in all their beauty, but it was still a sight to see.

We have both enjoyed driving through the smaller towns and meeting the locals. They seem to have taken a liking to Doug (I wonder why???) and he was able to get a few of them to buy him a couple of pints. People-wise, we found that Belfast was the least-friendly, but maybe that was because of the impending "troubles" when we were there. Overall the food gets a "C", excluding the Irish breakfasts. Those we would rank a "B+". For those that may not know, a typical breakfast includes cereal, an egg or two, sausage, bacon, broiled tomato, potato bread, soda bread and toast. On occasion we also got black and white pudding (kind of a blood sausage and a pork sausage), pork and beans and fruit. There is definitely an aversion to using spices other than salt and pepper, but they do know how to make their fish-and-chips. Beverages get an "A" ranking. The normal price for a pint is around €4.30. We even found a pub in a town last night that had any pint for €3, so we took advantage of that deal!!! Doug had one of each kind, except for the one tap that was out of service.

We have managed not to get into any accidents/wrecks with the car. We drove for about 1500 km and were in the car for about 40 hours! Most of that time was on the narrow, back roads; only about 100 km was on what we would consider an interstate road.

Well, it's about 3:00, so we're off to the pub. Next stop Prague...here we come!!!!

Here is somewhat of a map so far...
Map so far


Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1166s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb