Exploring Dublin


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin
April 8th 2006
Published: April 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So yesterday was quite a day!!! I woke up around 9 or so and headed off into town by myself. It was really easy actually. I had tourists asking ME how the train worked! I absolutely LOVE DUBLIN CITY! Its quite crazy because everything there is sooo ooold. Its not like walking around Vancouver where its all skyscrapers. Everything here has a history. I hung out on Grafton street for a few hours by myself just wandering the shops. Its a pedestrian only street so thats rather handy. People all through the streets were selling flowers and playing the violin and everything. Oh and theres REAL GYPSYS! Of course they arent thought of highly because they just try and get money off of you and park there trailers wherever they please. I met Louise for lunch in a little cafe (lots of those around) Then we headed off to the tourist center which is in an ancient church. We took a tour bus around and I got to see all the main city sites... Christ Church Cathedral, St. Patricks Cathedral, Dublin Castle, Guiness Factory, Oscar Wildes statue (oh and his house... did you know he was GAY!?) We saw the presidents house, as well as a bunch of other famous politicians and historians houses (i just cant remember all the names), The Georgian street where every door is a different colour AND of course Trinity College. Now I wasnt able to get pictures of all the places because it rained for part of the tour, so that sort of sucked. My favorite place though was Trinity. Oh my WORD its MASSIVE and BEAUTIFUL! I bought a little long sleeved shirt thats says Dublin Rugby Trinity College 1854 on it. Its pretty cool hehe. After all that we wandered the streets a bit more, including one called Temple Bar which is the medieval street (its THAT OLD!!!) Then to top it off we went to.... Starbucks hahaha. Its not nearly as popular in Ireland as it is elsewhere, theres only one in Dublin. We met up with one of Louises friends Lucinda for supper at this converted italian restaurant and then caught a film at the 'cinema' Guess what we saw!? Failure to Launch!!! The Matthew (however you spell his last name) movie. Oh it was HILARIOUS; alot like how to lose a guy in 10 days, but still totally funny. After we kinda just wandered Dublin at night... seriously, its such a gorgeous city. We didnt end up getting home until almost midnight, so we crashed and didnt wake up until 11am this morning haha. Were gonna head out at about half 12 and explore the countryside a bit! So anyhow, i better run. Love and miss you all!
Carolyn



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0861s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb