Kilmainham Geol, Dublin Zoo, The Old Jameson Distillery


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
August 4th 2013
Published: August 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Finally had a breakfast that did not consist of crappy eggs, toast, and crappy coffee/tea. We headed to Kilmainham Geol. It was a jail dating back to the 1700s. Most importantly it was where 14 men, who helped organize the Easter Rising back in 1916 that declared Ireland a free and independent republic, were executed. It was a great way to learn more about Irish history.

Then, we bought tickets for the hop on and hop off sightseeing bus to get to the Jameson Distillery. On the bus we went through The Phoenix Park. The audio guide on the bus said it was twice as big as Central Park. It was beautiful. The US embassy and the President of Ireland's house is located in this park. The Dublin Zoo is also located in this park. Laura loves zoos, so we got off and went exploring. It was cute and a great way to enjoy the nice day. There were chimpanzees, giraffes, elephants, a red panda (which is a kind of fox), and so much more. Much better than I anticipated.

Then it was back on the sightseeing bus to make our way to Jameson. We got our tickets and the next tour was in about a hour, so we grabbed some lunch there and walked around the gift shop. Our guide met us, and led us to a short video about the history of John Jameson and the distillery in Dublin. The guide said he'd need volunteers to become whiskey experts after the tour. He picked Laura and she graciously let me take her place, because I like whiskey more than she does. What a good friend! We learned about the distillation process and what makes Jameson unique. It was informative. After the tour, the guide had us taste Scottish and American whiskey in comparison to Jameson. Of course, I chose the Jameson as my favorite. Then, I got a certificate to proclaim that I am a whiskey expert. It was such a fun experience.

Then, we got back on the bus to make our way back to the hotel. It was such a busy day walking around, I am so tired. Tonight will be just a relaxing night at the hotel. Another big day planned tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb