Packing for the Big Trip to Ireland


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
May 5th 2013
Published: May 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Packing is a big thing. It is all about how to have enough clothing, toiletries, and electronic devices, yet fit it into a backpack each!

No, we do not have those mondo over-sized hiker's backpacks, but a decently sized backpack each, like kids use to haul all their stuff back and forth from school.

The way we deal with the clothing is to roll it up tightly, after folding it carefully, then wrapping a few thick rubber bands around the clothing. This packs really neatly in the backpack, useful for cushioning electronics, and the TSA really has not bothered with us for the rolled clothing... Yet.

The rubber bands can be used later as a makeshift clothes line by linking them end to end. The "open" spaces between the links serve as clothespins for skivvies, socks, etc. If all the rubber bands are heavy, then it can even hold up to a pair or two of jeans hung over the line.

We try to pack with purpose, and try to pack the essentials. We really hate having to spend time on an adventure doing mundane things like going to market for laundry detergent and then standing around a wash machine! A nice quick wash at night on the essentials, they are usually dry in the morning. A warm auto interior can always finish off the drying of the clothes if the next night is a different lodging.

Electronics are a whole 'nother issue. We are so connected these days, and the essentials seem to be a tablet, cell phone, and a couple of portable gaming devices. We picked up a couple of electrical adapters, and extension cord, a couple of battery backups, a variety of USB cords, and a number of plug to USB adapters for charging devices. All the charging devices fit in a small bag, about 3"X 3" X 5" and barely weigh a thing. All of the items we use for charging were acquired either on "Black Friday", at dollar stores, or at discount department stores for a reasonable price.

It is good to always renew acquaintance with the TSA website, www.tsa.gov, since the prohibited item list seems to change a lot. I can now bring a corkscrew as long as the blade for removing the foil is tiny...

Our backpacks have a generous pocket on the front, and that is where we carry our toiletries. The TSA always seems to scrutinize the toiletries. I guess they really like messing with people's toiletries.

We also pack a bag each, in our backpacks, that can serve as checked luggage on the way home. That too is folded, rolled, and rubber banded. We have need the bags for checked luggage on the way back. How else can you transport important things like beverages!

Advertisement



6th May 2013

Getting organized
We love to read about bike trips. There are several travel bloggers biking now and we look forward to your experiences. Please include photos!

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb