Sweet Home Alabama


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Dublin » Dublin
March 30th 2009
Published: March 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

What?This isn't an Irish jig!



So, where was I? Oh, yeah, Dublin. did I mention we were staying with friends who taught us all about Irish hospitality? Here's a hint for you, just say yes! Trust me, it will save you time if you just take a cup of tea when it's offered. Also, trust the Dubliners to steer you to the correct bar in Temple Bar (which is actually a Pub and an area in Dublin with really good ice cream).

As long as the pub they are steering you to is Oliver St. John Gogarty's then you are being steered to the right place. I personally loved it. When we arrived we thought we went to the separate room we were told about, but it turns out we were still downstairs. It worked out fine for us, but if you go, go upstairs for the Irish music, it is played louder and longer there.

Gogarty's is one of those places with a ton of personality. There are portraits on the wall of all sorts of Irish writers and about 5 of James Joyce (or maybe the whiskey plus the Guinness just had me seeing 5). When we got there they were playing Irish music, jigs and whatnot. After a while though, we realized that what we were listening to was more rock than folk. But we really knew we were in the wrong room when we heard them playing Sweet Home Alabama. By that time the chips, whiskey and Guinness were just enough to make us not want to move (again). Also there were some highly entertaining French boys at the next table and we were having fun watching them do something that we found highly amusing at the time, though now I cannot remember what it was.

Sweet Home Alabama became the anthem of our trip to Ireland. I think we heard it something like 6 times in the week we were there, which is about the most times I have heard it in a week ever.

Apparently, the Irish like to offer you something until you just decide to have some and like it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb