Welcome to Hogwarts


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Cork
October 29th 2010
Published: October 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post


I love this Country!!! <3 <3 <3


The UCC campus is very beautiful and the scenery is similar to that of the Harry Potter movie set. Student involvement is incredible: it seems like there is always some event or cause happening on campus. There are also two campus bars; which often have live music. Starbucks coffee is also brewed on campus, very convenient. On Thursday, Students were handing out flyers with information about a protest that is being organized in order to combat tuition raises. The new tuition cost would be 3,000 (total) Euro per year for academics. The guy who gave me the flyer could not believe how much my tuition is in the US ...... per semester. It seems no matter how I try to fit in and be discreet, the Irish love to "spot" Americans. I realize, "the jig is up", and much more energy is wasted trying to look european... they ALWAYS KNOW! ;-). Walking home last night, we received countless "cat calls" that sounded like " hey you...American!" or .... "We No Speak Americano" (after the popular song title). I asked one guy how he knew, and he just replied "you stick out like a sore thumb" and then proceeded to attempt to get my number. Charming, eh?

The Irish also LOVE to talk American politics... especially when in a pub. I just gently remind them that i have a strict "no political discussions with strangers" policy. Overall, they have a very friendly demeanor (mostly). They are very, very laid back about everything. Classes generally don't start until at least 5 minutes after the scheduled time. Sometimes, the professor will simply not show up, and may or may not explain the absence the next class period. My classes are extremely interesting, I believe my favorite so far is "Aspects of Irish Folklore", because there is such historical value, and many of these beliefs and tales transcend time as well as foreign armies.

Registering for Immigration at The Garda station (police station) was a nightMARE!!!! (the organization is similar to the "DMV") in the US. The only exceptions are that the immigration window is only open for four hours a day, and there are no numbers, you stand in line (If you have to leave to eat or use the restroom, you are out) and if it is four o clock, they WILL shut the window in your face, no matter how long you have been waiting, or how many days you had been waiting that week. I know from experience. One week, I spent 8 hours across a span of three days there. I would have spent more, if it weren't for class. That week, when I finally got to a window, the woman informed me that she would need a current bank statement (the ATM receipt and opening letterhead from the bank were not sufficient.) I was against time, as my passport was about to expire and I had to wait a week for the bank statement to arrive in the mail, if it came that fast. I cried in front of a bunch of strangers that day, feeling very spiteful and frustrated with the Irish way of doing things. It was the beginning of a necessary change for me.

On the way out of the station, A student at UCC stopped me to chat. He was experiencing the same frustrations, and wanted to know if he could help in any way. We exchanged e-mails, and his first email he reminded me that not everything in life comes simply. Sometimes, we all need a little reminder that each situation is fleeting, all things will work out. That is the biggest lesson I am learning here: patience.

A book that a friend lent me before I left is teaching me a similar lesson. When something is not going the way you expect it to, or the way you think it "should" go, you must learn to embrace the current situation in order to solve the problem. This IS the situation: accept it, deal with it, have fun with it, and move on. :-)

In conclusion, Although UCC is ranked 9th in the World for academics, the greatest lessons have been taught on the streets of this beautiful country.

Advertisement



5th November 2010

Happy Birthday
Katie, Hope you had a great birthday in Ireland! Since it is afternoon here you are probably about done, than again maybe not since you are young yet. Hopefully things will be smoother but you do have a good attitude for the problems you have encountered. We miss seeing you here. Have fun, this experience will be a great memory for you the rest of your life. Ann Fields (st. lukes)

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb