Cobn


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Cork » Cobh
March 5th 2022
Published: March 16th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Cobh is a beautiful, colourful town steeped in history in county Cork. The port, which has had three names was first called “Cove” in 1750. It was renamed by the British as “Queenstown” in 1849 to commemorate a visit by Queen Victoria to Ireland. In 1921 when the Irish Free State was established the name was changed to Cobh, in its Irish form. One of the major transatlantic Irish ports, the town was the departure point for 2.5 million of the six million Irish people who emigrated to North America between 1848 and 1950.

A beautiful day with blue skies overhead but with some sad stories about Cobn.

The last port of call of that fatal voyage of Titanic in 1912.

The history of immigration & deportation leaving from this famous port to different parts of the world.

We were able to go inside St Colmans cathedral which took 47 years to build and opened in 1911.

Across the harbour we could see Spike Island a former prison, fortress, monastery.

Annie Moore and her two younger brothers left Queenstown on December 20th 1891 bound for the United States. Through a twist of fate their ship
took longer to make the journey and they finally arrived on 1st January 1892. This day was the opening of New Yorks, Ellis Island which had been newly built to process immigrants. Annie Moore was the first Irish immigrant to welcomed there giving her a place in history.

We stopped to listen to a street busker who sang Danny Boy.

https://www.heygo.com/tours/cobh-the-last-port-of-call-of-the-titanic

Such a colourful town and colourful stories given by Dave.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement







Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb