Bamboo Grove


Advertisement
Japan's flag
Asia » Japan
March 3rd 2022
Published: April 26th 2022
Edit Blog Post

My first tour with new guide Lisa.

We started with a lovely riverside walk stopping to think of the people of Ukraine at the Peace memorial.

Continuing across the moon bridge into the town, passing a temple that Lisa will feature on a future tour. We arrived at the Arashiyama Bamboo Grove, it was early Sunday morning so not too many people about.

There was feeling of calm as we walked with Lisa on a day where we all wish for calm and peace in the world.



https://www.heygo.com/lisa
The Arashiyama bamboo grove is known for its rich bamboo stalks located in the Arashiyama mountains (Storm Mountains). A popular tourist destination, this place of scenic beauty offers a unique window into Kyoto’s historic heart. Arashiyama is located just a train ride away from the Kyoto Station.

Located about 7km west of downtown Kyoto, Arashiyama is one of Kyoto’s most popular sightseeing area. The heart of the area is the Arashiyama Bamboo Grove, a fascinating grove of thousands of tall bamboo plants. A paved pathway forms the famous bamboo grove called ”Chikurin-no-komichi”, one of Kyoto’s most photographed sights. Arashiyama has been a favorite location of imperial and
noble villas and temples from the days of classical Japan, the Heian Period. Bamboo was a popular element in the gardens of these villas. During the Edo Period, bamboo was cultivated in the area for use in many Japanese crafts, as well as for eating - bamboo shoots are a popular ingredient in Japanese food. Due to economic changes in the modern era, many bamboo groves in Arashiyama were abandoned or turned into residential areas. However, the government acted in in 1967 to protect the remaining bamboo groves, so that we can enjoy the fantastic grove we see today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement







Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb