Killarney to Cliffs of Moher to Doolin, County Clare, Ireland


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Clare » Cliffs of Moher
July 10th 2008
Published: July 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

To Galway


July 10, 2008
Killarney to Cliffs of Moher to Doolin, County Clare, Ireland

Leaving Killarney, we begin out trek north to the Cliffs of Moher. The roads are again narrow and have either rock walls or hedges instead of a shoulder. There are signs everywhere Road Improvement funded by European Union...what was it like before?? Which brings us to Ireland's economy...which is quite good. Everything ...and I mean everything is expensive. Meats, produce, wine/beer, baked goods, etc. is double as compared to the continent, except for Italy and Switzerland. To be honest England and Wales roads were no better and the roads in Dartmoor were worse.
The Cliffs of Moher, even shrouded in mist and rain, are breathtaking. The sheer rock face, with its layers of black shale and sandstone provide sheltered ledges where many sea birds nest. It is lovely.
While we were here it was a rain storm plus... we tried to get a few photos, before driving to Doolin to our campground on the south sound.

July 11, 2008
Doolin to Galway, Ireland

Doolin to Galway is not a long ride, but we stopped along the way at Dunguaire Castle, it is part of The Burrens. The Burrens which means "rocky land" in Gaelic is an apt name for this vast limestone plateau in northwest County Clare, Ireland. Glaciations and wind and rain erosion have formed limestone pavements with deep crevices. Few tree manage to grow in this desolate place, yet other plants thrive.
As we continue on to Galway, the road improves and we find our way to Ballyloughane C&C Park. It is about 2 miles outside Galway; so off we start to explore this city.
Eventually we found our way along the railroad tracks, and walked the pedestrian street, which is called "Shop Street" ... honest, it was busy with shoppers and street entertainers. After a visit to the phone store, we hope our phone and internet connection problems are solved. A bus back "home" seems to be a good choice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb