Killarney National Park, Ireland


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry » Killarney
July 8th 2008
Published: July 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Bike Trip



The Gap of Dunloe
Killarney National Park, Ireland

The Gap of Dunloe is our destination today and rather than take a tour, we opted to bike to the Reen Pier and have the boat transport us and the bikes across the three lakes of Killarney: the Lough Leane, the Muckross Lake, and the Upper Lake... to Lord Brandon's Cottage.
As we stood on the pier waiting (Ireland time is different from real time!) we saw some Americans..."Hey where are you from?" we asked. The response was "PITTSBURGH"! "No way!" we said, "We live in Shaler", they lived in McCandles the next township. Nice folks on their honeymoon. Small world!
Well after an hour and half in the boat, we arrived at Lord Brandon's Cottage and began biking toward the Gap of Dunloe. We are at the bottom of the mountain. Glaciers carved this dramatic mountain pass which is popular with walkers, cyclists, and "jaunty-cars" (Clydesdale horse drawn carts) the problem is... the horses leave their remains everywhere and it is an obstacle course walking or cycling. Would you believe...they also allow cars on this trail, as well?! Maneuvering is a difficult task. The trail is extremely steep and we cycled up and up and up...eventually we were pushing more than pedaling!
Finally, we reached the Gap and it offers fabulous views of the boulder strewn gorge, the streams and the mountains. After the Gap the trail has gently rolling hills down, and lovely, lovely views...Yeah! We finally got to test our brakes.
It was seven miles from the lake up and over the Gap. Of course, we stopped at the bottom at Kate Kearney's Pub, a famous cottage named after a woman who died in childbirth at age 102?!
The finally 9 mile cycle back to Killarney and "home", seemed long, we were indeed tired, but it was a great day in Ireland! So it was a full day.
One last comment...no rain during the day in Ireland!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



14th July 2008

Hi!
Bob and Kel, Glad you are having a wonderful time in Ireland, its one of my favorite places to read about, especially W.B. Yeats. Well wishes to you both. Ken and Mare

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb