Iceland - we will be back!


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
July 10th 2017
Published: July 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

What a fantastic way to end a spectacular vacation! Iceland is an incredible place and it didn't take us long to decide we would go back for a longer period of time and be a bit better prepared for the weather. We were a little apprehensive about some of the factors during our visit; camper, weather and cost of everything. Camper was great, if it wasn't raining, which it did for most of the time we were there. It was basically a tin can with a steering wheel and a bed. Highest tempurature was 12C. Food very expensive. We loaded up at Costco but had to be creative as there was no fridge/cooler. It worked out as well as can be expected. This was the "dry" portion of our trip. What I mean is, no beer! Way too expensive!

Once loaded up, we explored the south part of the island seeing spectacular waterfalls, landscapes and the cutest horses you could imagine. The Icelandic horse is smaller and the distance between the tip of their nose to the top of their head is much shorter than a regular horse. The colors, manes and tails make them adorable. Sorry no pictures. Did I mentioned it rained a lot?

On our last full day, we toured the golden triangle; I think this is the name. Colin is back to work this morning and can't confirm my 'facts'. We saw the place where the tectonic plates "meet". There is a distance of 7km between them. They move about 2cm every year causing the ground in between them to sink. There was an Asian fellow there who was convinced that there was a part where you could watch the plates actually separate and he was convinced he was going to watch this happen. The park guide was getting quite a laugh as there is such a distance between the plates and you really are unable to "watch" this happen. The Asian fellow was still arguing with the guide when we left. Silly man....

Weather - well, it rained, a lot. However, the skies would let up enough when it was our turn to see something spectacular. Oh we had warm clothes alright but didn't bring mittens or toques or rain pants or hiking boots - all of which are a must! Next time!

Now we are back home and fondly remembering our adventures over the last 6 weeks. It was an amazing trip but there is no place like home. We are getting set and ready for the upcoming September weddings of Carling and Gabe, Cole and Kelsey with a lot of busy events between now and then.

We are blessed to have had this time away and thanks to all who followed us through this blog.

Until next time...

Colin and Roxanne

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb