A sunrise at 11am


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
December 8th 2014
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 64.1299, -21.944

I am so used to getting up at stupid o'clock to get pics of sunrise in places, but here its at 11am..... Happy days!!!

We had set the alarm at 7am so we could make the most of our morning in Reykjavik. I had slept with one curtain open, just incase there was a flash of northern lights when I was awake.... Needless to say that was a little bit of a pipedream!

Breakfast was a buffet, cereals, fruits, breads, cheeses, meats and fishes, cooked and cookies 😉 I think we can say we made the most of it... Crispy bacon was blooming amazing!! Well the plan was to eat as much as we could so lunch could be pushed later if at all!!

The packing done, ready for our 11.30 taxi, we layered up and ventured into the fairy-lit 'city'. This time we walked down to the military boats and turned the opposite direction towards a Viking lookout point and the hallgrimskirkja (big church!) ... Try and pronounce that!!! The sky was beginning to lighten slightly but the wind making photo taking a chilly affair for the hands!! We followed the spire to the church to find it, which was reasonably successful and it appeared as we turned a corner. It is stunning and architecturally brilliant but as with most of the city, modern.... Designed in the late 30's and finished in the 80's. the design was apparently there to represent the lava flows. We sneaked a peek inside and then headed through the shopping district to the gardens and frozen lake in the centre. We saw the geese landing in the only unfrozen corner of the water and footprints into the centre of the water in the ice! Errrrr no thanks.... Such a party pooper!!

The taxi picked us up on time. He was very happy and his English was amazing! Had conversations about cars and the weather! He even dropped us outside the door of the checkin.... Legend!

The checkin opened 30mins before the flight. The bags were loaded onto the plane on a step ladder! So quaint!! Fingers crossed the high winds don't arrive until we've landed!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb