Pineapple in a carrot cake?!


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
December 8th 2014
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 65.6836, -18.0906

The plane was not as rickety as I thought it was going to be and free beverages too!! Happy days! The views out of the window were stunning though, amazing snow capped mountains and some textbook valleys cut out of the landscape! With a bumpy landing and the one room baggage, arrivals, departure room, we grabbed the bags and went to find a taxi. The guy was not quite as chipper as the Reykjavik one but got us to where we needed too!!

As seems to be the pattern, the guy on reception of hotel nordurland was exceedingly helpful. Lots of help and directions of where to go for food and shops etc. there is a storm expected tonight.... Not sure the northern lights will make a show... Please let the winds blow away the clouds!!

We zoomed out as the sun was already below the horizon! -9 was the temperature on the square!' Brrrrrr! We meandered our way to the waters edge to see the sunset behind the mountain. A very kind man offered to take a picture of us as he saw me attempting to take a 'selfie' with my big camera. He had a conversation with us about contrast exposures and features of the camera! Their English here is better than some English people!

We pottered around a little more! Looking at the cool icicles on the buildings, shaking branch loads of snow at each other and trying to make snowballs.... The snow is too powdery 😞

We ventured into a few shops, although we may need to remortgage the house if I decide to buy anything! So expensive..... Trying not to fall in love with anything!!

After such a big breakfast, it was 3pm and we were only a little peckish, so cake and hot choc was our next mission! As we wandered through the shopping streets I noticed a building with a tea cup on the side up some slippery looking steps.... Jackpot!! Hot choc.... Proper hot choc and carrot cake .... Happy days, although the carrot cake had pineapple in... Unexpected but I nice surprise!!! I taught James a new card game and after a few 'looks' from the owner, we decided it was prob best to head back for a snooze before tea as we will be out late tonight if the northern lights tour runs!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb