Reykjavik Day 2 Part 2


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
June 3rd 2017
Published: June 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We continued our "Golden Circle" tour by visiting a magnificent waterfall called Gullfoss. It cascades about 300 ft. into a gorge created by the tectonic rift. We have seen higher waterfalls and waterfalls with more volume but nothing as dramatic as this double cascade!

Our next stop was a working farm which has turned itself into a tourist destination. We were hosted by Hetla the great great granddaughter of the founders of the farm and one of the current co-managers. She provided some history of the area and provided samples of the products produced on the farm. It turns out that Hetla spent a year in West Virginia as an exchange student and her English was peppered with Americanisms. We sampled cheese and the unique dairy product of Iceland called Skyr. It is made from lowfat milk and has the consistency of cream cheese. Some people eat it as is but Hetla showed us they typical way by adding a bit of milk and sugar. It ends up tasting very much like yogurt and as with yogurt one can add fruit as an option.

Our last stop was at a volcanic crater with a lake. A somewhat smaller version of Crater Lake in Washington. We ended our tour by visiting some Icelandic horses. They are a unique breed and quite a bit smaller than standard breeds. It turns out that Gertha is a horse owner herself.

This was truly a wonderful day and we learned so much about Iceland and it's people and history from Gertha. It was the closest thing to having a private tour!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

At the FarmAt the Farm
At the Farm

Victoria and Hetla as she explains Skyr


Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb