Viking Ships, Churches, and Trout


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
March 31st 2016
Published: June 14th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Hello from Reykjavik!!! UGH that flight sucked... I think flying while pregnant is no fun. I got super restless and basically didn't sleep at all. Watched a lot of Friends and Big Bang Theory on my iPad and attempted sleep but failed. So we arrived at 6:30 AM in Keflavik and took a 30 minute bus ride to Reykjavik. It snowed here yesterday so everything is covered... it looks so pretty! And I guess it doesn't snow that often in Keflavik at this time of year so we felt lucky to get to land in Iceland and have it really feel like Iceland! It's cold here to where we definitely need jackets and gloves, but not unbearably cold which is great! I love this weather!!!

Our hotel is pretty nice! Everything feels a little like IKEA here. We decided to catch up on some much needed sleep, and slept until around 1 PM. THANK GOODNESS. I was bummed because we DO have limited time here but we really needed that. After we got ready, we had a quick lunch in the hotel (the fish and chips were AMAZING) and then headed to catch a bus into town. It's super cool because they have free bus passes for tourists here! So we just flashed our special tourist pass and got on the bus no problem. Man, Icelandic is a CRAZY language. Nothing sounds like what it looks like, so the bus trip was interesting. We found that the Hlemmer bus stop seems to be the best place to hop off if you really have no idea where you're going. Haha!

We got to see Hallgrimskirkja, the iconic church you see in pretty much any post about Iceland. It was super massive and really impressive! We walked a little ways past that into town and along Main Street, which is a really cute area. Lots of shops with adorable Icelandic goods in them and some neat looking restaurants. We tucked into one for a happy hour so Ian could indulge in a little vino (it was a really good happy hour!) and I could again indulge in a Sprite. Goody. After that, we walked quite a ways over to the Sun Voyager sculpture, which is a viking ship along the harbor. It was smaller than we expected (although we should be used to that by now because I feel like most landmarks we see abroad are!). The Opera House was close by and REALLY cool; it's build with windows that almost look iridescent... so the whole building gives off gorgeous shades of purples and blues... it was pretty neat!

After walking a bit we had worked up an appetite to we went to dinner at Market Restaurant in the old part of town. The fish was AMAZING. We passed on the whale and horse and puffin though. There's only so much this pregnant lady can handle. But yummy fries and yummy food was great!

We were supposed to have a boat tour to see the northern lights but the weather was so crummy that it was cancelled. BOO. We forced ourselves to stay up by playing some card games (okay Magic the Gathering; don't judge) in our hotel room because we really wanted our bodies to get acclimated to the time change.

Our 5th anniversary is tomorrow so we are heading to bed to get ready for a VERY full day!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.281s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb