Goodbye Iceland


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
May 27th 2016
Published: May 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

The airport feels deserted today compared to when we came in yesterday after a traffic controller strike. It's a modern, beautiful airport with lots of great amenities. Apparently the prices in the airport are much cheaper than in town.

The past two days have been a blur. After a nap at our Bergas Guesthouse we forced ourselves to get up at 2 and start the Golden Circle Drive. In the sheeting cold rain, it made the landscape look even more barren and surreal. Our first stop was Thingvellir National Park which was on the top of the edge of the North American Plate. It was here that in 930 the goverment was announced. Standing on the top of the NA plate you can look 7km away to the edge of the Eurasian plate. We couldn't see much though because of the fog/rain but it is a beautiful spot. There are some cracks where the plates have receded and the water filling the cracks is incredibly clear. Some intrepid souls snorkel here.

It was a bit far to the Gulfoss waterfall but we could see it from the road. There is a pretty church in the valley also and a few little homes.

Next stop was lunch at Lindin, in a little town on the way to Geysir. I had an amazing trout and Cole enjoyed a cheeseburger. He didn't choose the Reindeer burger, but the regular burger he gave 1000 stars!

Next we stopped at a fork to table farm Elf something and had a delicious ice cream while we could look into the barn at the cows and calves. It was a great stop and the ice cream was amazing! If we come back we would have to have a meal here.

Our last stop was in the town of Geysir where we walked around the hot pools. The rain was shooting sideways and we were all drenched, but we saw the Strokkur geyser erupt. Ken and Cole stayed to watch it again but Liam and I went back to the car, soaked to the bone even though I had an umbrella. We drove back to our guesthouse which seemed to take forever. The boys collapsed immediately into bed and it took me a while to get to sleep.

we got up with our alarm at 9:15, wishing for just a bit more sleep. Off to the Blue Lagoon, a hot pool tourist destination that is made from the effluent from the power plant. Hot water from the ground is harnessed to make electricity and the water is then shuttled into the pools. Ken and I put on a silicone mud mask and the kids were very excited to try a KRAP drink from the bar right in the hot pool (this is actually the name of a slushie drink). We had to take off all our jewelry and I did not get any photos in the pools. The water was nice and warm, but the cold wind and rain had us running for shelter under the small bridges.

Finally we ate at Kaffi Duus, I had the buffet with lovely fish, opting against the whale steak. A beautiful view over the harbour with a funny little house/cave built into the side of the hill.

Waiting for our flight to Paris now, hoping that the weather there improves - rain in the forecast :-( but there is at least lots to do indoors in Paris.

I will add photos later.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



28th May 2016

To correct, it was not the Gullfoss waterfall that we saw from the road. It was a smaller one at Thingvellir.
28th May 2016

To correct, it was not the Gullfoss waterfall that we saw from the road. It was a smaller one at Thingvellir.

Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb