Avalanches and Earthquakes!!!!


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
June 21st 2015
Published: June 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Thur Jun 18 Day ???

Avalanches and Earthquakes!!!!



The time passes by each day like a clock that resets every 3 days. I’ve done about 8 tours now (probably more by the time I post this) and they have all gone very well. The exception being an elderly Indian family from New Delhi. They did not want to talk about anything the entire tour except how our company wouldn’t let the 12th person in their party join them even though they clearly only booked for 11 people. They were not too happy and I can understand why. In India if they booked for something with 11 people and showed up with 12, they would most definitely be accommodated because that’s just the way the culture is over their. If something like this happened 4 months ago, I wouldn’t have had that understanding. All my other customers have been great. One of my favorite thing is the silly questions that we get asked. Most people are completely shocked when we tell them that we live up here with the dogs with no running water or electricity. Their usual response is “wait, so how do you watch TV?(the only channel we get is the howling dogs)” Sometimes they just don’t get it. Other questions include “do you feed the dogs? (no, we starve them for their entire lives)” “Will we get hit by an Avalanche?(yes, when god sneezes, he causes an avalanche on a completely flat area so be careful)” “Will there be an earthquake?(ya, lemme check my earthquake predictor app and I’ll let you know)” My favorite was recently we had a customer petting a dog, Moonlight. We told her not to let her get french kisses because Moonlight is notorious for eating her own poop. The woman said “no, it’s okay, I have a dog of my own (ok… then i guess it’s okay to get poo on your face that makes sense)”. Omnituk has had a rough week NSFW. He was on a run next to his favorite girl, Taiga. Now Taiga is the type of dog who it’s rare to see her legs not spread apart awaiting another dog’s sniff so naturally all the male dogs are crazy about her. The dog behind him, Kalik began to sniff Taiga as they were running and Omnituk, being jealous of this, snapped the line connected to his collar and jumped on Kalik. Bad idea. Omnituk left that scrap bleeding from his penis. Cheap shot by Kalik if you ask me but Omnituk started it so I guess it’s fair. To avoid more problems, we put Taiga in lead next to Judge. Taiga immediately laid on her back for Judge and started playing with him right in front of poor Omnituk. Now fast forward 2 days and we notice something next to his butthole. It’s a throbbing, infected blister the size of a half dollar not even a centimeter from the hole most likely from a Kalik bite. Probably the most repugnant experience of my life was draining that blister. Somehow the amount of fluid that came out was completely un-proportional to the size of the blister and the smelled resembled the blending together of rotten fish, over-cooked eggs, and the kind of diarriah you would get from drinking the water of the river Charles. We squeezed all that juicy goodness out right onto the floor of our caravan, unknowing of the severity of our actions. The only solution we could think of for ridding our home of this putrid smell was to open a packet of the blue liquid that make’s port-a-potties smell the way that they do. Horrible idea, the two smells combined to form a kind of flesh-eating bacteria that floats into one’s nose and begins to eat away anything living or nice. After a week, the smell is subsiding and we can begin to get a proper sleep again. Back to Omnituk, he had to have the cone of shame on his head for a couple of days but he’s almost all better now. It’s been a week to remember but surely not one to repeat. Oidis is back!!! She is one of the best lead dogs that has been down at the farm for the past few weeks because she was in heat. I’m so happy she’s back because she gives the best hugs and is such a lovely dog. For the family, after knowing these dogs for a month I can give the comparisons to dogs back home. Rooney is Nanook, Riley is Aurora. Franka(the 11yo grandmother) is Maggie, Manituk is Risky. I saw an Ice cave the other day. It’s a 500m tunnel that goes like a loop through the glacier Longsoikull(something like that). The tour was great because we(Charlotte and I) we on the tour with a bunch of rich Icelanders who funded the cave. They even clapped at the end of the tour like people do at the end of a movie or flight. Cheers!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb