Greetings From Majestic Iceland


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland
May 25th 2007
Published: May 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello from Iceland!

So... we arrived safely in Iceland after a couple of long but uneventful flights. We had the day to rest and recover in preparation for our only night out in the "big city" of Reykjavik. These Icelanders do it up right. We met some fellow travellers from the U.S. and England on the bus on our way downtown, and through the course of the night, we met lots of locals who brought us around to a couple of interesting bars where we did all we could to avoid buying another $12 beer. It never actually gets dark here during this time of year, and the bars stay open all night on Fridays and Saturdays. Just picture hundreds of people walking around and waiting in line at their favorite bars and clubs in broad "day"light, many of them stumbling, singing, or even punching in car windows (yes we saw it all happen). We made it home safely after waiting in the longest cab line known to man.

With no time to waste, we got a few hours of sleep and then took off on our road trip adventure around the perimeter of Iceland. Each night we
3:00 AM in Reykjavik3:00 AM in Reykjavik3:00 AM in Reykjavik

Tights are all the rage here... these gold ones are priceless! And the "sailor" outfits are the Icelandic version of caps and gowns. Notice how bright it is at 3:00 AM!
stayed at a different farm or guesthouse. The towns are tiny, like population 300-ish and we quickly got used to the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere. We are meeting nice people, both our hosts, and other travellers. Each day we drove a few hours to our next destination, and we have experienced the full gamut of weather conditions and natural wonders. Sun, snow, hail, ocean, glaciers, waterfalls, craters, rainbows, and a soothing natural hot spring pool with turquoise water, surrounded by lava rock formations. We are taking a million pictures and hope you enjoy the few we've posted.

Most notable lessons learned in Iceland as we depart from this wonderful country:

Don't count on a small-town grocery store to stay open past 6 pm! The only thing left to eat for dinner is another hot dog from the service station (fine by us!!!)
When you're awakened by the sun, check your watch... it's probably only 3 am!
Four words: Shit-Smoked Christmas Meat. We'll let you ponder that one for awhile.
and lastly,
Do not return to Iceland..... until we are millionaires. One gallon of gas = $7.00. OUCH!

Arriving back in Reykjavik is like an oasis. Tomorrow morning we depart for Frankfurt, Germany. (Karen is really looking forward to the climate change!) Love to you all and wish you were here! We have many more stories to share with you when we return. We'll talk to you again from Germany! (Where wireless internet should be easier to come by!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

GodafossGodafoss
Godafoss

It was soooo cold and starting to snow!
Stong FarmStong Farm
Stong Farm

This is one of the larger farms we stayed at, about 5 miles off the main road. The farm has been in the same family since the mid-1800's.
HofnHofn
Hofn

This town's name, Hofn, translates to harbor.
Lagoon in MyvatnLagoon in Myvatn
Lagoon in Myvatn

A soak in this hot spring made our week!


25th May 2007

Awesome!
I'd like to see Grant in a Sailor Suit (Not tights though, that would be offensive.) Stay safe Kids, you look like you are having a great time. Love the Blog. Murp
25th May 2007

Oh how I wish I was rich and I could travel to Iceland too! Love the pictures and hate being at work right this moment! :) Looks like fun...save travels. Nicole
26th May 2007

awesome
Thanks for the blog post! Keep enjoying your trip!! xo
26th May 2007

trick photography
You guys look like you're having a great time, though Grant looks really skinny in the roadside river picture. His head dosen't look like a football as much as it usually does. You guys have fun, lookin foward to the next blog. much love. Jesse and Suzie
26th May 2007

Nice to know you are having fun!
This blog is great! Feel like I am there with you.
26th May 2007

love the update, what a great adventure. can't wait for the next one. xo the other mom

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb