Blue Lagoon, general crankiness, and spray-tan tragedies


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
August 19th 2014
Published: August 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

I remember reading a story about a man who climbed Everest........he said when he finally got to the top he looked around and because of exhaustion and lack of oxygen he had the mental capacity of a mentally challenged third grader. There was no celebration, or feeling of achievement, he just thought "wow, I'm here".

I guess I felt similar when we finally landed after flying all night. I was wanting a 'Walter Mitty' moment, but The reality was greasy hair, an upset stomach from bad airplane food, and a sour disposition (mean as a snake). We made friends with a nice older man who was traveling solo, so we invited him to the Blue Lagoon and offered him a ride to the big city ( don't make me type what I can't pronounce).

We picked up the rental car, and they attempted to upgrade me to a 4-wheel drive, gps, gravel protection, and ash protection. I declined all of the above and now I'm regretting the ash protection. Damn. Someone please have a charity drive for me if it gets incased in lava.

So we hauled it to the Lagoon. Pricey, yes, touristy, yes, but worth it. Having a good soak and a beer got me in the right frame if mind. I put the silica mask on my face and skin and let the good times roll. This was a regretful decision because calcium chloride salt bath and mud masks didn't do my fresh spray tan any favors. Why did I get a tan to go to ICELAND, I have no idea, but they make me feel nice.

In the locker room, I was sharply reminded that Europeans have no qualms with nudity. See, in Iceland, one must fully shower before putting on bathing suit and going into any body of water. True to form, it was all open stalls......and as indiscreet as it may be, I would like to mention my suspicion that 70's porn is all the rage here, if you catch my drift. If you don't catch said drift then I'll subtly imply that 'landscaping the downtown' is not a trend. Ok, I'm done. Just wanted to tell the whole story.

The rest of the day was spent wandering around trying to stay awake in efforts to combat the lag. We managed to have the best fish dish I have ever had, and I had a solid nights sleep, until my dad decided to rise at 5:00 in the am. I snipped " it's too early, go back to bed!" He complied, thankfully!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb