Hot stuff!


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Reykjavík
March 31st 2007
Published: March 31st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Decided to do a tour- the Golden Circle tour as it seemed best way of doing as much as possible. 8 hour tour broke the bank balance at £50, but did get to see a lot and it was definately worth it!

The tour took me to some of best known natural phenomenons in Iceland!

I went to UNESCO heritage site of Pingvellir. This was the site of the first Icelandic Parliament (in 930 AD) making it the oldest known functioning parliament in the world. It is also cool in that its where the tectonic plates of America and Europe meet, but are slowly drifting apart.

I then saw the most beautiful waterfall of Gullfoss, which was saved by Icelands first environmentalist.

We then saw where Geyser got its name from- the first identified,but now inactive geyser.We did see the most active Geyser in Iceland, known as Strokkur. It was amazing and shot up water as often as every 8 mins, but it was over so quickly each time it was tricky to get a photo of believe me!

After this I saw some hot springs which were in the middle of a village. Madness- but when these hot springs come up they can completely destroy a house yet people still live there. In fact one crazy icelander just built a new house in their garden next to the massive hole (which is bit like what you would get after a bomb).

Then we went to see a beautiful Volcano- Kerio, which had a beautiful frozen lake at the bottom of it. It was kinda a red, rusty colour and infact some of the volcanic matter is used to make pavements in the surrounding area.

In addition to all this we saw greenhouses which use this natural heat and in addition Skalholt church, which was the home of the ancient icelandic bishops.

Brilliant!!!! Amazing would so recommend to all!Was very cold though.. so stopped off at thermal pool again on way back.

Came back to another pot noodle (veggie) having eaten Ritz crackers for my lunch, following a hearty hostel brekkie. To top all this off the hostel prepared its Saturday night waffles. MMMMMM they were lovely- 75p and with loads of toppings- the best and only cheap food I could find in iceland!





Advertisement



Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb