Staying at a farm


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » North
August 21st 2012
Published: August 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Good Afternoon from Iceland. We are sitting in the kitchen of an older farm house (Solvanes farm) that is 21 km south of Varmahlid, the last 6 km on a gravel road. There is a river running through the back yard with a small bridge. Today has been an adventure. We left the hostel this morning and headed north on the ring road (Highway 1). To be honest the weather isn't great... pretty foggy in parts this morning but some sun this afternoon. As we went along we stopped for a few photo ops. We saw three separate waterfalls just peeking through the hills. We were so impressed with the hills we stopped and low and behold as we stopped there was a waterfall in our sights... I have included one of those shots here.

After driving by those waterfalls we found ourselves at the fork in the road and stopped at the Iceland equivalent (N1) of the Arco AM/PM... Big difference is that here the place is always immaculate, the bathrooms are perfectly maintained, and never is there any graffiti. The food is good... not fried everything... deli sandwiches are made for your order and there is fresh fruit in the store. It is amazing to me how much more “civilized” this is. People here have a smile for their visitors all the time. And they are so patient with us as we ask questions (probably really stupid questions in their mind).

One other thing about Iceland is their use of technology. It is absolutely incredible that here I sit at a farm in rural Iceland with less than 100 people living in the area and there internet. Iceland people can not imagine not using technology to the fullest. They would consider it a waste.

An Icelandic couple just checked in here at the farm. We are having a wonderful conversation about international government and finances, family life in Iceland compared to the US and a little bit about faith. This is truly what it is all about. This traveling around is really about meeting and sharing ideas and concerns.

It's about 10:10 pm and another couple from Finland asking us to keep it down since Gary was definitely getting into the conversation with his big Wolfman Jack voice. So off to bed we go.

More later...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



24th August 2012

So far away yet still right here in my heart....
This is amazing.....get up everyday knowing that I can read a new adventure that you're having.... Sounds like you are having a great time......Stay safe. Love you, Lin
26th August 2012

Looks Nice
Keep them going Gary&Mary. Interesting to read.

Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb