It's Tuesday morning in Borgarnes, Iceland


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Northwest » Borgarnes
August 21st 2012
Published: August 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

We made it to Borgarnes yesterday after landing at Keflavik airport and renting a used car... Gary found a company that rents used cars. The one we have been assigned is a 10+ year old Nissan. It will definitely do the trip and costs about 1/2 of a regular rental car. On the way here we saw some great scenery especially as we went around Hvalfjordur with one way bridges and almost no traffic. The folks that are out and about are mostly interested in the beauty and probably taking a few hikes.

We arrived in Borgarnes, found our hostel and did some exploring. We found a great little museum, The Settlement Center, that discusses the settlement of Iceland. It had an audio guide that walked you through the various small rooms.

But by then jet lag was hitting hard. It was definitely time for a siesta (that's the Texas in me talking). Just a 1+ hour nap and we were out and about again for some time in the community pool. One of the wonders of Iceland is the small community pools. Each pool is a different temperature and all are fed by the geothermals. and sitting in them, talking to local folks is a great afternoon past-time. It is a wonderful way to get to know the people of this wonderful country. I spent time talking to a woman who was waiting for her 13 year old son to finish football practice. She works at a nearby university that concentrates on agriculture and the environment offering bachelors, masters and doctorate degrees. She is an accountant there and so as we spoke I realized how you can travel 3500 miles and find such similarities. The world is truly made up of people that have much in common... an accounting problem here is much like an accounting problem at any of our jobs at home.

Dinner last night was phenomenal – the restaurant was a part of the Settlement Center and was such a treat. I had the fresh fish – ling done in a cream wine sauce with chutney and Gary had the lamb with braised root vegetables. This town is small so to find a truly good restaurant was a welcome treat to end our first day.

I will add photos later today... Oh, I forgot weather? ...not so much...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0475s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb