5 Ski Resorts in Iceland You Should Try


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » North » Seydisfjördur
August 1st 2019
Published: August 1st 2019
Edit Blog Post

Iceland is quite literally synonymous with winter sports. Believe it or not, Iceland boasts of some of the best slopes covered with deep powder for you to explore at whatever speed suits your expertise. So after you take in all the sites in Iceland like the Northern Lights and the Blue Lagoon, try some skiing and snowboarding!

Here are some of our favorite ski resorts in Iceland:

1. Bláfjöll

This is one of the most famous ski resorts in Iceland situated in South Iceland. It is best known for its vast 15km run and has 15 lifts available to take you up the mountain. The resort offers all levels of difficulties from beginner to advanced. It also allows skiers to ski at night which is oh so cool. The resort also boasts of a poetic background characterised by the Kóngsgil Mountain Station and you can see the Atlantic Ocean from the top of the mountain on clear days.

2. Isafjördur

Located in Westfjords, this resort is perfect for snowboarding and skiing on the 9km stretch of slope. There are 3 lifts to transport skiers up the mountain. The resort provides an opportunity to everyone from beginners to pros to enjoy the slopes with distinct areas for each level of skier. The largest portion of the mountain is meant for beginners and children. This resort also offers some of the most panoramic views in Iceland.

3. Hliðarfjall

This resort is found in the North East part of Iceland and offers almost 15kms of trails. It is one of the few resorts that make snow to improve snow conditions when Mother Nature does not cooperate with enough natural snow. There are 7 high speed lifts to quickly get skiers up to the top of the mountain ski the 23 alpine slopes in the resort. This resort also offers lighting to permit snowboarding or skiing until late in the evening. There are trails that will suite all levels of skiers, so everyone can find several good trails to explore. It is also the highest ski resort in Iceland so wear a warm jacket and pants .

In addition, the resort offers ski & snowboarding lessons for both kids and adults on a daily basis.

4. Skasðsdalur

This resort is also characterized by majestic views the slopes and the Arctic Ocean on the north side. The resort is located in small fishing village in North East Iceland overlooking the town of Siglujörður. The slopes at this resort are well groomed and have snowmaking capabilities so the conditions are almost always good.

Beginners get gentler well-groomed slopes while the rougher slopes are left to the experts to test their skills. As is characteristic with the other slopes in Iceland, this resort also offers night skiing.

5. Stafdalur

Stafdalur is found in East Iceland and is a tad smaller compared to the other resorts. This fact doesn’t take much away from it however as it is an amazing ski resort on which you are guaranteed some excellent skiing.

The 5km long trails are serviced by 3 ski lifts that ensure skiers get back up the mountain quickly. The terrain is also friendly to all levels of skiers. The resort is also very inexpensive and accommodating to kids.

A skiing trip in Iceland would be a excellent addition to your trip to Iceland. Most of them are fairly priced and have lighting that enable skiing and snowboarding at night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb