Travel to Myvatn via Godafoss


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » North » Mývatn
August 17th 2011
Published: June 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Iceland has deep democratic roots. The original Icelanders came to Iceland to get away from the Scandinavian kings. They lived isolated rugged lives due to the very geography of the island - not much arable soil, a very short growing season, fishing being the main food source and frequent harsh weather. Self-reliance is the motto. They made sure they didn't have a king or were subjects of Norway, Swedish or Danish kings.

They even chose their religion demcratically. Since before the battle of Hastings and Magna Carta days, all Icelanders gather once a year at Pingvellir, their original open air national assembly, to decide their laws and celebrate life. On one such Alping, probably in the year 1000, (no computers back then, so no Y1K issues eh!), they democratically decided between paganism and Christianity as the national religion. By a very close margin Christianity won.

After the Alping, the law speaker on his way back to his farm, took all the Pagan paraphenelia and tossed them into a road side waterfall. That's how Godafoss got its' name. It's a fitting burial site for religious artifacts.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb