Pack It All In


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
August 7th 2017
Published: August 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Well we awoke to rain! Did that slow us down? No way! We just put on our rain coats and set out for the day. Thankfully the rain stopped later in the morning and it turned out to be a very nice day, especially since the temperatures were in the 70's.

Central Market was our first stop of the day. We always find the markets informative and interesting since the local people shop there and we can determine their interests. There were plenty of meat counters selling chicken, turkey, and duck and very few of them had any beef. Countless vendors were selling all types of sausages both fresh and smoked. Paprika was the spice of choice. It came in all sizes of containers and fresh too. The usual fruits and vegetables were in abundance, all so fresh and colorful looking. Mixed among the food vendors were many stalls selling linens and embroidered items such as table runners, table clothes, and doilies. They were beautiful. In the basement of the market was an Aldi's supermarket.

Upon leaving the market we found ourselves on Vaci Street again as we made our way to another stop. This was a section of the street we did not cover yesterday so provided more new sights. The crowds filled the streets of this section just as we saw yesterday. It too was lined with shops and restaurant.

Our destination was a memorial called Shoes on The Danube Bank. It was created on the east bank of the Danube to honor the people (mainly Jews) who were killed by fascist Arrow Cross militiamen in Budapest during World War II. They were ordered to take off their shoes, and were shot at the edge of the water so that their bodies fell into the river and were carried away. It represents their shoes left behind on the bank. The sight of baby shoes was very sad!

We also visited a second market, the Hold Street Market. It was not as large as the Central market but still provided the neighborhood people with esssentials of meat, fruits and vegetables.

In our travels today we passed the American Embassy which was well protected with high fences and armed police at the entrances of the gates. The American Flag was proudly waving. In a square near the embassy we were surprised to see a bronze statue of Ronald Reagan.

Our dinner tonight, for our last night in Budapest, was traditional Hungarian cuisine. We had goulash soup and beef stew in red wine sauce with dumplings. Our selection was excellent. Both were delicious!

Sitting here tonight we have mixed emotions, sad to see our vacation ending but eager to get back to family. The vacation was a good combination of a week of biking and a week of sight seeing and we enjoyed it very much.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

LoftasLoftas
Loftas

Pancakes with different fillings
Pop ParkPop Park
Pop Park

Solar Panels with plugs available for charging cell phones In the wooden seats.


Tot: 0.373s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1102s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb