More to see and experience in Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
August 6th 2017
Published: August 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

What a wonderful morning! Our first stop, after breakfast of course, was the Szechnyi Baths. This was the first 19th century thermal bath in Budapest. It opened temporarily in 1881 and once it became popular a permanent structure was built. Today it is one of the largest public baths in Europe. It resembles a Palace rather than a public bath. There are 15 medicinal pools in the bath complex and 3 huge outdoor pools. There are 10 sauna/steam rooms. The pools are fed by natural springs and 15 of the pools are mineral pools. We experienced several of the thermal pools, a sauna, and two of the outdoor pools. It was very refreshing since the temperatures are again in the mid 90's.

After several hours we needed to move on in order to see the other sights on our agenda. The next being Vaci Street which is one of the main pedestrian thoroughfares and possibly the most famous street of central Budapest, Hungary. It has a number of restaurants and shops. This is the neighborhood our hotel manager said that most local people shop since the prices are more reasonable. He was correct about the shoppers because the streets were crowded with tourists and locals. People watching is always a must when you encounter such large crowds, and it doesn't hurt to take a break either!

Fisherman's Bastion was an afternoon stop. The terraces were part of construction done between 1895 and 1902 in celebration of the state's 1000th anniversary. At the time the terraces were intended as observation points for looking out across the magnificent views, just as tourists do today. So it was built to impress rather than to protect. It includes seven towers, each one representing one of the seven Hungarian leaders who led their tribes to establish the country in 895.

Next to the Fisherman's Bastion is Matthias Church. It was originally built in 1255 and named after King Matthias Corvinus. The church underwent renovations but really took off in 1874 under the direction of Frigyes Schuyler. He added the colorful diamond shaped roof tiles and decorative gargoyles.

We also visited the Inner City Parish Church which is the oldest church in Budapest. It was founded in 1046. The church was less ornate than some of the others we have visited but still very well maintained.

The skies began to look like rain was coming so we headed back to our lodging to take a break before dinner. The rains did indeed arrive, along with thunder and lightning, a good summer thunderstorm!

An observation today has to do with the currency. Some establishments take Euros or Forints. Others only accept Forints. However if you pay with Euros your change is given in Forints. This sometimes makes it difficult for the person handling the transaction. Cash is always more welcomed than credit.

Everyday has brought new and different things to see and do. We have enjoyed every minute of this trip!

Egeszsegetekre! Jo ejszakat!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Another Vaci Street ViewAnother Vaci Street View
Another Vaci Street View

Pedestrian Shopping Lane


Tot: 0.367s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0829s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb