Jewish Danube day 6: Cruising Up-River - 6 September 2015


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
September 6th 2015
Published: December 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

When we started the cruise we were advised that because of the low water level in the river the overall trip itinerary was being changed. A couple of the originally planned stops like Salzburg and Mauthausen had to be dropped and other ports rearranged. Thus on Day 6 we spent the day cruising up the river, heading back northward without any stops and admiring the scenery.

This was not a complete waste of time. Each passenger had been given on-board credit of $150 per person. It was assumed that this would be spent on booze within the first couple of days and then the passengers would spend more money as the cruise proceeded. However, we were not a boozing cruise group!

So from our $300 we had bought a couple of bottles of wine already. Today the bulk of that credit paid for a massage and some jewellery in the on-board shop.

.

Although the scenery was delightful, including views of ancient castles, it felt a bit like a waste of a day being stuck on board. Of course Malcolm Green made sure that we enjoyed a good choice of meals and nibbles throughout the day. In addition Rabbi Weiss gave a couple of interesting shiurim and there were other speakers presenting. Don and I studied more of our Daf Yomi than we could do on the other days.

We chose to simply relax, and opted out of visiting the captain's cockpit or learning the art of towel folding. The evening talent show was fun though, featuring both fellow passengers and crew members.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb