Along the Danube to Budapest.


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
June 29th 2006
Published: July 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Dipping in the DanubeDipping in the DanubeDipping in the Danube

Near Estergon it was so hot we swam in the (not so) Blue Danube.
Day 37, 7th July.

Komárom - Estergom - Szentendre - Budapest (Budaors)

Early, at 6am, Scott and I walked around to the thermal-baths next to the site while the others were sleeping. The hot mineral waters were so refreshing to tired legs. For breakfast we ate bread and cheese rolls as the others were waking up. We did manage to be on the road for 10 am for our trip along the Danube to Budapest which turned out further than expected!

The wind was in our faces before we turned the bend. Estergom was beautiful with its impressive basilica. Further on we went for a dip in the Danube, which was lovely. The wind then became favourable on the last section directly south into the city. Toby had arranged to meet some friend of the family where we could stay a couple of nights. We met Be’la and Julia outside the technical college and they led us to their home on the outskirts of the city where cold beer and a shower was waiting for us. We chatted about the revolutions of 1989 and other eastern European subjects late into the evening until very tired.

Total Miles:
BudapestBudapestBudapest

A narrow alleyway in Budapest.
1693.19 Todays Miles: 86.68 Average speed: 11.8 Time on bike: 7:18


Day 38, 8th July.

Around Budapest

Caught the number 40 bus into Budapest to do a bit of touristy stuff and to check my emails too - yippee! Lots of emails from Kathryn! Things are still great between us.

We were hungry and tired later in the day and sat in a dismal park drinking beer. Scott made the observation as to why we were sitting in the most dinghy are of the most beautiful city in the world - why? (answers on a postcard please to: Sad Bikepackers, Broken Bench 12, Grief Park, Budapest). We headed back for dinner at the house at six, but instead, treated Be’la and Julia to a meal at a nearby restaurant.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Toby's friends.Toby's friends.
Toby's friends.

Thank you Bela and Julia for putting us up in Budaors near Budapest.
Scottish BridgeScottish Bridge
Scottish Bridge

Actually I don't know the real name, but this bridge was built by a Scotsman.
Hungarian ForintsHungarian Forints
Hungarian Forints

Just check out that cool King on these banknotes!!!
HungaryHungary
Hungary

Hungarian entry stamp from Kormaron.


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb