Budapest... Yeah!


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
April 1st 2006
Published: April 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our Favourite Photo so farOur Favourite Photo so farOur Favourite Photo so far

Clowning around near St. Stephens Bascillia in Budapest.
Hey Guys,

Well budapest was a blast, we had a great time. there were good times and bad. We stayed in a double room in the Golden Eagle Hostel in their only double room, which was very very nice compared to our other accommodation we had stayed in previously. It was over 100 yrs old and built by a communist man who built it for his family with entertainment areas and dancing halls. There was also a statue on the ground floor made of gold they think it was for his wife. Off course when the capitalist took over it was divided into apartments. We decided to give this a skip for the second half of the week, and made our home at a very cosy little place called the Musuem Hostel (Number 2).

Like regular tourists, we explored the regular sites like the Palace and the banks of the Danube. It really is a place filled with a lot of history, similar to Prague.

The Highlight of the City was the Baths Complex we visited. The waters reached 36 Degrees, and provided a welcome relief from what seemed like kilometres of walking. Lots of old men in the corners, lovers making out towards the end of the day and people playing chess in the baths gave quite an ambience to the place.. But it was very relaxing, and a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

Another Highlight (there were a few) was the Sping Festival. There were plenty of stalls, food and music and provided a welcoming place to witness some dancing and buskers playing some interesting music. A Puppet show presented itself during the day which was funny AND incomprehendable. We saw the Basel Chamber Orchestra play, which was quite a treat although we were dressed like Bums compared to the high class society that was there.

An interesting episode we had involved a trip to The Restuarant called Gundels... we had bought a thing called the 'Budapest Card' (Gave free public transport, and discounts) and with this card, we were entitled to a free crepe when dining at Gundels. So we preceded there for lunch - it seemed like a very posh place, and after finishing an interesing meal including Goose liver (And a small Crepe), we were presented with a bill that could bankrole a small country. Lesson learnt? Always look at
The Golden Eagle HostelThe Golden Eagle HostelThe Golden Eagle Hostel

The Beauty at the bottom of the building
the menu OUTSIDE the restaurant. We did get some cheap Hungarian Local dishes the next night, so it wasnt all bad.

We also decided to take a day trip out to a small town called szentre (or something like that) which was on a corner of the Danube - was a very pleasant country town, although geared a bit towards touros. We enjoyed some fine food here as well, at normal costs after a scrupulous study of the menu, and the bill.

On the last night we met some Hungarian Locals at the Baths (our second visit) and together with Rosie from our hostel and Eric from another, we explored Budapest after dark. The locals (Tomas and Kristy) were excellent guides (actually kristy was a guide) and showed us to a small local pub where kareoke and tequila was the main feature... needless to say we spent the night having a great time, I think the photos show it.. We pumped out classics like Down Under by Men At Work, Build Me Up Butter Cup and Hakuna Matata! Awesome fun. What wasnt as fun was the 8:25am train ride to Ljubiana where we are now.

Anyway hope
St. Stephens BascilliaSt. Stephens BascilliaSt. Stephens Bascillia

Was built over a long period of time - they changed the design half way through to raise the height of the cathederal, to keep pace with the buildings of the city.
you are all well,

Cheers

Stacey and Ben


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Buda Palace and Chain BridgeBuda Palace and Chain Bridge
Buda Palace and Chain Bridge

At the moment there is an interesting exhibition on Hungarian Fauvism in the muesum at the Palace. Lots of nudes.
Near the Buda PalaceNear the Buda Palace
Near the Buda Palace

Part of the palace Walls.
Carnies!!!!Carnies!!!!
Carnies!!!!

At the Budapest Spring Festival.
Traditional Dancing CostumeTraditional Dancing Costume
Traditional Dancing Costume

It was quite a sight, all of these kids moving in time with syncronized 'Hey!'s at the end of each song..
What a cutie!!What a cutie!!
What a cutie!!

This guy wasn't too keen to strut his stuff..
City BathsCity Baths
City Baths

No photos allowed inside, so this is the best we could do.
Kareoke!!Kareoke!!
Kareoke!!

Awesome time with Tomas, Eric, Kristy and Rosie.
Kareoke!!Kareoke!!
Kareoke!!

From our best recollection, This was during Down Under!
Kareoke!!Kareoke!!
Kareoke!!

Tomas, Kristy and the Bar Owner lead the way Hungarian style!!


6th April 2006

Hi dudes
Your travel tales are wonderful. Looking forward to the next instalment. A little bit of rain and a cold snap here. All well.
7th April 2006

rents
please care to explain purple monkey dishwasher to the invalids at some point.
7th April 2006

Less buildings more pog
give the audience what they want to see.... floral shirts, hangarian dwarfs and a bearded lady..... i dont see much of our friend ambi, more ambi i say more ambi..... that and a nude run through the spring fair...
15th April 2006

hey hey hungary
hi guys, looks like you are having a fantastic time...so sad and, well, just sad here in Canberra. Nah, things are great, first professional job- you may now address me as Assistant Collection Manager at Old Parliament House. Keep up the awesome photos, have fun and learn to run out on your bills. Keep safe, luv al. P.S. Ben, I'm having your baby. (oh, whoops, thats just a beer gut)
26th April 2006

What's with the beard?????
Ok seriously Ben your starting to scare me! I think it's the mo thats doing it....! Give it a few weeks and you'll be looking like your father, now that's scary!!!!! (Love ya Rod!)
11th July 2006

pretty delayed response!
I love your Budapest stories!! I just came across the piece of paper with the blog site while doing a scrapbook for my trip. I think we really had fun that night! The photos I have are equally embarrassing and entertaining and I will try to send them shortly. Even if it takes a bit I promise I won't forget. I hope the rest of the adventures are just as fun! I'm going to keep reading along...take care, Rosie, fellow Kareoke artist.

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb