Munchen to BUDApest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
July 6th 2009
Published: July 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Woke up in my seat kind of sore and tired!! Try sitting in a seat for 12 hours and tell me what ya think. Very warm in Hungary.There was one other guy who was Hungarian in my cabin who spoke a bit of English. I asked him about the Baths and where to get internet. He told me a few things about Hungary which was pretty helpful.He told me about the mall where I could get 100% wireless he said. That was a good sign.
There was a lady checking tickets as you left the station as well??? Kinda odd. I did some research on Budapest on the train with not much else to do and nowhere to plug the old laptop in as well. Second class cruiser. There is almost never a plug in a second class train. Only place I ever found there was, was in Sweden.Left the station and headed for this mall down the road.
The place had just opened lucky enough for me. It looked straight out of the states, which kind of took away from the experience for me. I asked the lady at KFC or was it Burger King about WIFI and she had no idea what I was talking about. Shit ok well I found the washroom. Took care of buisiness and then I brought out the laptop to see if I could find a signal!!! SUCCESS sweet success. Mcdonalds and Pizza Hut had signals. Trouble was finding a plug. I wandered a found and found plugs coming out of the ground for the illuminated signs around. Well I just unplugged the fucker when the lady in the salon next to me wasnt looking and i was in business. I even had an address and a map to find this place.
Did my research on finding a hostel. Not bad I think it was 8 Euro for a night. It was on the Buda side in the old town of Budapest. Bit of a walk away but I might as well tour around on my way there. After that I went to the grocery store and got myself some breaky. Pretty darn cheap as well. I got some juice, some fruit and some goodies. Gobbleded em up and took off into the heart of Budapest having done everything I needed to.
Walked through the blistering heat and that nasty rash starting coming about in my inner thigh again!!! OUCH this weather I mean there has to be a way around it. Tons and tons of shops. The language sounds pretty cool almost Arabic and Russian sounding. Saw the most amazing girl on the way. Holly crap I didnt want to be creepy but I just had to get a pic to show you guys. Walked to the Danube river and this Aussie girl comes up to me and says. Are yah LOST?? I had the map out trying to place myself not even paying attention to the ppl around me. I said ahhh no im ok thanks. She said oh you just look like your a lost puppy. I think thats what I always look like though!! She told me about this festival she and a ton of others were headed to in Serbia. Exitfest it was called. Korn and Moby whole bunch of decent bands were gonna be there. Trouble was my rail pass wasnt covered for that country. And I had to be back in Copenhagen to see this wedding for Villy as well.
Actually I wasnt even planning on seeing Eastern Europe but why the hell not eh. Its way cheaper anyways. I took the chain bridge over the Danube river which was pretty fierce as rivers goes. Really gross and brown looking. Had to take a break because the old pain was getting to me again. Saw the tram thing up the hill across the bridge. I dont know but it looks like a tourist trap to me.
Made my way down the road to this little hostel called had to hike up that bastard of a hill as well. I should of taken the damn tram with this pain. It would of saved my ass. AHh whatever.I wanted to see things as well. Got to the right street and walked down in relief. I was saying to myself PLEASE be right here come on. HAHAHa its funny to think about now. Got to the place where it should be and there was nothing. SHITTTTTTTTTT I asked whoever came by if they ever heard of this place. Nothing. Local people ignored me. Hotel there wasnt open at all. Finally this American guy talks to me. He says ahhh man does Buda have a square where you can get drinks and stuff like Pëst. Im thinking FUCKING AMERICANS!!! He says he has no idea he gets lost every ten mins. I told him i was from Victoria and he was like beautiful state. He told me about Prague and told me to be careful. Some chicks took him to the bar pretending to like him. After the night of drinking she took off and he was stuck with the astronomical bill. Pickpockets are bad there too he says.
I walked back up the street and went further down even though the addresses got bigger. Turns out there was a big gap in between the addresses and the other side was completely different than the other. HAHAHA just my luck.
Walked up to the hostel and told him my name. Cool place he gave me the key and said be careful its the only one we have left. Please bring it back when you leave ok.I had the 12 bed room to myself. I asked him are u expecting anyone else tonight. He says I HOPE SO!! HAHAHA I spread all my crap out and realized I didnt have a towel anymore. Shit thats the second one Ive lost now. God damn. I had to shower so I decided to use the blanket but it was micro fleece material. ah give it a whirl eh.
Washed up and it didnt work well to dry me off at all. It was bloody hot out though so it didnt take long to dry. GOt out all my dirty ass socks and undies and washed em all in the sink. It was a shared bathroom for most of the rooms on the first floor. THere was a special on mtv about Micheal Jackson. Seen enough of that lately. Its everywhere.
Got it all washed up and there was a hottie suntanning just outside the window I was at. Made up a clothesline out of my spare shoelaces. Worked out ok. Hopefully the all dry for tommorow.
Two other guys came into the room just as I was about to bust out the porno!!! Just kidding they were from Switzerland. Nice guys, They took off soon after showing up and locking up their stuff. I got all organized and I left myself. I wanted to see what this place was all about. One thing I had to figure out was if I could get the metro to the train station early early to make the 6am train. WOW that was a task and a half. NO ENGLISH AT ALL. Speak Russian she says no sorry. There was like 5 ppl all trying to figure out what the hell I was talking about an nothing no answers. HAHAHA i just left and found out myself but it was kind of confusing from the sign they had. Seemed like service started around 5 so I was in luck.
Left the station and changed my Euros into their currency points.The bank actually closed before the lady changed my money. I had to leave through the back door. She was a real bitch. I was really lucky cause I remembered my passport. Somehow. I didnt think I had it with me but i keep it in my camelback which I always keep with me so I was in luck. If i didnt have it I wouldnt have been able to change 20 Euros thats all. STUPID rule to me.Thats all I wanted to spend anyways.
Got some beers with the first purchase. Two different kinds. One cheap one, and one slightly more expensive. Had the more expensive one first. Not bad at all. Then I had the other one walking down beside the river shirtless. YUCK it tasted worse than piss. But I drank the whole damn thing anyways.UGH off I went walking through the streets of Pest after crossing the bridge. The only thing I really wanted to do was to see the baths that they were famour for in Hungary. Turkish baths but non the less.
Walked through this park full of nothing but kids. It was really cool to see. Everyone was hanging out enjoying the sun. A group were taking turns with the hooka others were skating boarding around without any piggies pestering them. I had to use the porti potties they had there. Kinda gross. Oh yah and I forgot to mention that i was drying my undies on the outside of my backpack to make sure that I had at least one pair dry in case the others failed me. It didnt take long either with that boiling sun!!! I even went in the bank with these things on my backpack. HAHAHAHA thats classic Andrew for yah.
I walked across the street to try and find a good place to eat. There were tons and tons of police cars passing by. Motorbikes were blocking traffic. Audis were the preffered car for sure. After I waited about 2 mins for them to pass by finally we could cross. Found a place that sold popcorn and bought some. Good little snack untill I could find something to fill me up. Popped it in the microwave and asked the lady really slowly is she could tell me a good place to eat. No comprende at all. Oh well
Walked through this long alley with banners over top. Found the opera house and sat down to eat Chinnese at this little restaurant that looked neat. CHEAP i think it was 3 dollars Canadian or the equivalent for my meal with soup and a coke. Wasnt the best food in the world but I was starving by now. The big plaza that the road led up to had huge buildings surrounding it. There was a small little market that I checked out and they even had a band playing traditional music. Nice candy market as well but I found the desire to resist.
Walked up the street after I was done to find these baths. Hopefully with some luck they would still be open!!! Took me like 1 hr up the road. Found this place that looked like it but they were closing like as soon as I walked in. Darn, thankfully that wasnt it. I did a loop around and saw this crazy looking amusement park beside that wasnt on the map. Right beside that was the Bath. BINGO walked in and they were open untill 10. So I had something like 2 hrs to enjoy. It cost quite a bit by Hungarian standards i think it was 3000 points. Went in took some pics and found the changerooms downstairs. Didnt really knw what to expect of the place, but I had pretty high hopes. Really cool looking old building though. Was neat to see.
Changed into my stuff got a free locker but I still had no towel. MEH ill be ok. First I went into the cold pool by mistake! Then I went into the sauna. It burnt the hell out of my ass. They had heat coming through the cracks of the boards. It was terrible but most people just put the towel over top I realized after a second. I just moved forward so there was solid wood. Sat in there for a good while. Then went exploring through the different rooms. Pretty much just freezing, cold. luke warm, and warm tubs there. Your supposed to go from one extreme to the next in a sequence to get the full benefits from it. The hot tub wasnt very hot and there was no bubbles. Not was Im used to anyways. Went outside to the pools out there. There was actually lightning and thunder in the distance you could see. Kinda scary being in water!!! Thought they might even shut it down early but it never happened. They were pretty much all the same temperature. Met a girl from Budapest in the sauna after I got out of the pool. The only one actually decent looking. She had to get out of the sauna after we chatted for abit. Too hot. She was applying conditioner so her hair wouldnt fry. Not a bad idea I thought. Finished up and was satisfied with the Baths and got changed.
Turns out you get cash back when you leave early!!! Would of never of known this other than when this local dude showed his reciept and got money back. I went back to the lady i gave my ticket and said I need that back!! Gave it to the girl and she gave me, my cash back as well.
Walked around the park to get back to the big square. Listened to some uplifting Dave Matthews and bought a pretzel from this stand on the way. THey totally ripped me off.. It cost more than my whole meal earlier. Shit it was kinda stale as well. What a sucker I felt like. AHhh
Went to the metro as it started to rain. Bought my ticket and found the stop I needed to get to. Took the right train but the lady never told me I needed to transfer. SO after taking the train the wrong way about 3 times. I was getting kinda choked. Then I did it again missed the stop. I wasted like over 30mins in this damn place and the metro was about to shut down. Finally I made it back to the right station where I had been earlier that day.
Found my way through the dark streets to the hostel. Got there and no one was in the room. The people in the room next to me were all British and being stupidly loud screaming out the window and cranking up their music. Really annoying. Not that im old and I wanted to get to bed early but I had to get up in the morning. SHhiiiiiit
It wasnt too bad they stopped banging around about 3!!!! HAHAHA . Before that some girl scouts came in and set up camp in the room. THey were from France and were leaders taking kids on a trip around. They left for some food after a bit. I did my research on Croatia and off to bed I went. Night night.
But no no no no I couldnt sleep till around 3 ish off and on. Gonna be a long one tommorow



Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

chatting away chatting away
chatting away

is that the eye im gettin??


Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0883s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb