Budapest to Croatia.....eventually train station sleeping!


Advertisement
Croatia's flag
Europe » Croatia » Central Croatia » Zagreb
July 7th 2009
Published: July 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Woke up suddenly and it was 830!!!! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa i totally missed that alarm at 515am. Didnt even hear it at all. OH well i slept in a bit more and planned to catch the next train at 230. The girl guides had even got up and out of the room. The Swiss guys must have been out hella late because I didnt see them untill the morning passed out of it. Got up and took my time knowing that the train wasnt untill 230. I had to be out of the hostel at 10 though and it was getting pretty close to that now. The guys finally got up and said they were staying another night. I was like ahhh hopefully thats ok I stay here for a bit longer. They were like ohhhhh yah im sure its fine. They told me about their crazy night running away from the metro police not having paid for the ticket on.
Got all my stuff together and the guy wanted my email to get me on facebook. I gladly gave him it and I was off to Croatia. Got to the metro and it was like 210.;Man I always do this leaving it to the last seconds. Only like 4 stops thought so I should be ok.
Got the station in fair time. Could not find the name Zagreb on the board at all though. NO ONE and I mean no one spoke any english or knew where the right track was. Shit so I was running around like a mad chicken with its head cut off back and forth to find this train. I had like two mins till it left. AHHHHHHHHHH I was going crazy. Cant miss this train otherwise its gonna be tough to make it back to Copenhagen in time and see everything else I had planned. Went back to the board and it was spelt different but I recognized it and it said 15 mins late. Or something 15mins. Asked a bunch of people around and they all gave me different answers in Hungarian. Man if youve never experienced this in a foreign country its not fun at all. I made this reservation in Munich as well so it was gonna cost me regardless. I saw this girl standing there who looked like she might be from somewhere else so I asked her DO you speak any english. She was like yah for sure. AHhhh finally ok whats the deal with this train to Zagreb and why doesnt it show the track number. Did I miss it. SHe didnt know all that much she just told me no its late. I dont know which track or anything.
We ended up chatting the whole time. Her name was Olga and she was from Ukraine. I told her about Svetlana, and she said oh well I was born in ¨Poland but ive lived most of my life in Ukraine. I bought a pizza and a beer and everything was ok again. 15 mins no problem I can deal with that. I had two hours between trains to see a bit of Zagreb and get to Prauge. So i put my beer on top of this post to grab a pen or something and this Aussie chick behinds me swings her bag right into the damn thing!!! HAAaa all over me everywhere. God damn. She was oh sorry. You want me to get you another beer. I couldnt speak at the moment I was just ohhh man its ok. SHe took that to heart way faster than expected and didnt say a word after. What a bitch!! Not only did she spill my overpriced beer she spilt it all over me and it was gonna dry on me and I would smell like an alky!!! Anyways I was in good company so it didnt bother me much. Olga was coming from the Ukraine to go to Croatia for a student organization thing. Lasted like 2 weeks and they did different events and had lectures every day. She was a bit worried about this whole Visa thing coming from Ukraine. Supposedly it was no problem so she didnt get a visa but she was really terrified the whole time we finally got on the train.
The train showed up 1.5 hrs late!! Ok now im pretty much screwed. What a day so far. I went to the washroom and I was amazed. The toilet just was a hole. THere was a toilet but it just went onto the tracks without any tank. Now thats Eastern EUrope for yah. Pretty sweet I thought. Didnt even smell that bad. We shared my ipod for quite some time after she told me what music she liked I kind of chose things that were similar. SHe showed me some international music from France and from Poland. Italian song about mispronouncing words all the time in America. We were in the same car as this group from Norway going down to Slpits to rent an apartment. They were planning on sleeping in the station if they couldnt get a train out that night. I thought hmmmm that might be the same boat im in tonight..
We got to the border and they had to do a bunch of checks on things. Maybe swtiched the wheels around or something. Passport control came through and gave Ol Olga the green light and she was very happy. Took us 40 mins after the border to Zagreb the Croatian capital. Once we finally got there 2 hrs late now I tried to get my cash back for this sleeper bunk I had booked. 23 Euro. Turns out I have to send a letter to the people at the staiton to get my cash back. Hahaha of course. Booked the next train out to Prauge. I only had so much money left and didnt want to take any more out. It was in Hungarian so hopefully it would work. Well thankfully if did,. The security guard escorted me to the best pizza place by the station he knew of. Really tasty. They know how to bake thats for sure.
Got myself a few beers and some fruit and cake things for breakfast. .I couldnt find Prauge anywhere on the board of all the stations for some reason. SHIT
Anyways I told the security guard my plan to sleep at the station and he said it was fine. So thats what I ended up doing. The station was open all night even the people at the information were there. Kinda weird never seen that before. THey even had a chapel in the station. Sat outside till about 2 then went inside where everyone else was hanigng out waiting. Laid my pack upright in the corner and pretty much passed out leaning against it. AHHHHHHHHHHH ok time for a nap. Night night


Advertisement



Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb