Bring on the Goulash!


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
October 2nd 2007
Published: October 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Central MarketCentral MarketCentral Market

Filled with fruit, paprika, sausages, leather goods and of course.....tourists!!
Sorry been a bit lazy on the Travelblog, you would have thought we were on holiday.
We hopped on a night train to Budapest we thought it would be a good idea a cute cabin for too, romantic train journey through the night, not quite...

We did not know that from Poland to Hungary we would pass through Slovakia which meant being woken up at 2 different border crossings to have our passports checked, obviously at some ridiculous hour.

But we made it to Budapest, and our hostel with not much hassle.We booked our hostel on line which Mel would say was quaint, and I say was crap, we were the only ones there which you would think was good.

The hostel just smelt funny.

So we set out to find different accommodation for the next day while seeing the sights.We found a great place called the Goat Hostel which we stayed for the following two nights.

So as per usual we had to see the food market which turned out to be great, a mix of touristy trinkets and local food, fruit and cold meats, with dried paprika everywhere. We chose a stall and ordered
View of the DanubeView of the DanubeView of the Danube

We are standing on Pest side, crossing over the Szabadsag hid (one of the many bridges)
our meals by pointing and nodding and the choices turned out great.

The next day the activity was to visit the old bathing houses, our new hostel was just across the Danube river from the oldest baths in the city, so off we went. The huge old building basically housed a load of different swimming pools from the massive outdoor pools to small indoor pools which were 38 degrees with the water coming from hot springs under the ground. Three hours of total bliss.

The next day we visited a local town Szentendre down the river for a walk around and a bit of lunch.
We ended our Budapest experience with a WALK up the 'mountain' overlooking the city for a few photos.

I am sure that I have not done the city justice with this blog, it is one of the best cities for a weekend break with cheap prices and lots to see. (just not fun to write about)

Ken


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Gellert SpaGellert Spa
Gellert Spa

What a way to spend an afternoon. 2400Ft (7 pounds) gets you in. Use of pools, thermals etc included for the day.
Main square of SzentendreMain square of Szentendre
Main square of Szentendre

Only a 40min train trip away....small and peaceful. A great place to have lunch & get out of the bustle of the city
Uncle Fif¨s sticksUncle Fif¨s sticks
Uncle Fif¨s sticks

You see...the idea has even reached Hungary!
The DanubeThe Danube
The Danube

View from Citadel & Statue of Liberation


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb