Zakopane Poland


Advertisement
Poland's flag
Europe » Poland » Lesser Poland » Zakopane
September 27th 2007
Published: October 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

In townIn townIn town

The river runs right through the town with a very quaint high street of shops- TONS of divine kebab sellers, waffles and warmed mead! An eating fest!
I am writing this VERY late, as you can see we have been lazy with our blogs!

Poland I must say was a great surprise....I figured with all the thousands of Polish in London (particularly in the´West side!´) that they all left for a good reason. ....One of Ken´s co-workers even said to him 'Why do you want to go to Poland...I spent 10 years trying to get out of there!!!´
Well, we were pleasantly surprised and in fact Krakow and Zakopane were perhaps to date one of my high-lights of our trip to date.

Zakopane is only 2 hours from Krakow (locally buses leave regularly) and is the main, local ski region. The town is nestled in the Tatra mountains and borders with Slovakia.
It is the 1st time I have even been to a ski region in summer and it was beautiful. Tons of walking/hiking, great log cabins, many over 100 years old!

We stayed in this great hostel called 'Goodbye Lenin.´ It was a old log cabin which had been guttered and modernised, with a great laid back vibe and rooms looking over the pine forest and mountains.

We had a bunch of 8
Cheese and more cheese!Cheese and more cheese!Cheese and more cheese!

These stands are everywhere- smoked, shaped cheeses
or so from Finland staying there at the same time- so the nights were filled with Finnish folk music beers and hairs on your chest vodka (beware of the Polish home brews!!!).

The place was so relaxing that we spent 4 or 5 days there; with not as much walking done as we had planned. But hey! We are on holiday afterall.

...... and the food, well that is seriously yummy too. No time for dieting here.

Kebabs again are huge. Meat braai´d on the open fire, sausages for Africa, waffles, dumplings and oh! so much more!
When you stop at a restaurant, many of them automatically serve you bread on a board with two side dishes. One filled with delicious soft cream cheese and herbs and/or garlic and the other...wait for it.....animal fat or lard!

At first I was horrified.

This is seriously artery clogging stuff.
I must tell you though- as bad as it is for you, it sure tastes good! It is whipped up with herbs and garlic and most of the time has bacon bits or pork crackling mixed in.
The Polish sure know how to cook up comfort food by the barrel full!

I was really sad to leave, I could have easily have stayed for a good few more days. In fact, one of the girls from Australia we had met, Lucinda, was staying on to work at the hostel for a month.....there really was something about the place that tempted you to stay on!

Hungary and Budapest though was calling......and so it was back to Krakow for an overnight train.

























Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Beautiful walk in ZakapaneBeautiful walk in Zakapane
Beautiful walk in Zakapane

Tons of walking to be done in this spectacular resort/mountain range.
View from our hostel window!View from our hostel window!
View from our hostel window!

Goodbye Lenin hostel was fantastic, right in the mountains
Train cabinTrain cabin
Train cabin

Overnight sleeper from Krakow to Budapest


22nd October 2007

Go guys go!
Wonderful to see and read all the news :) hope you continue to have a wonderful time... Joe

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb