Pre-Champs Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest
August 17th 2023
Published: August 17th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Since Saturday morning we have been in the beautiful city of Budapest. We still have 12 days to go but most of that will be spent at the track watching the World Athletics Championships. So though we haven't been out all day every day, here is a summary of various aspects of our visit so far.

Sightseeing!! Our hotel, the Intercontinental is not far from the amazing Parliament building on the banks of the Danube( which is far from blue!!). We caught a tram , which runs frequently, but got off a stop or two too early. We then walked the short way to view this magnificent building. With towering spires and an imposing dome it is certainly one of the main sights here. We walked around it admiring the statues etc which are on all sides. It was a warm sunny day so we stopped for a beer. Fletcher tried the Rose beer but was not impressed. Then we took a risk and descended to the Metro station and rode two stops and alighted at Astoria station. This proved to be in the centre of the city.Just outside we saw a Hop-on Hop- off bus so bought tickets. This is a great way to see a city. We went up to Heroes square which we had visited on a previous trip.

We got off at the New York Palace hotel. This was one place that came highly recommended. Inside is the New York Cafe, a must see. We had to queue for about 20 minutes but eventually procured a table. This is decorated in Baroque style with murals and painted ceilings all outlined by gold borders. While we ate, there was a great Hungarian classical band as well as a fabulous pianist. It is a massive room and was jam packed with the never ending queue snaking down the street.

After our meal we continued the bus circuit which took us over the bridge to the Buda side and then back to the Chain Bridge where we got off. A great day.

The next morning we walked over the Chain Bridge and took the bus up to the top of Castle Hill.Our first stop was at Fisherman's Bastion, an interesting area with pointed turrets and the beautiful St Martin's Cathedral. We continued on the bus and stopped where the castle itself was supposed to be accessible. However there were blocked of streets and on inquiring were told by a security guy that they had found a bomb so access was blocked. We were on the next bus back to the river!!

Our latest expedition saw us hop on the tram again and ride two bridges down to the Grand Market. Another impressive building, we happily wandered through the aisles looking at the variety of goods on offer. Wine, spices,(especially paprika), meat, fruit etc. Not as large or as varied as either the Borough Markets or the Naschmarket. We went back to the tram and got off one stop before our hotel and walked up to an interesting square. Much activity going on here as preparations for August 20th, St Stephen's day and Hungary's national celebrations are in full swing. There is to be a huge fireworks display and if we are back from the track will be in the perfect spot to see them all.

One thing I have been impressed by is the variety of statuary everywhere. From commemorative to modern and whimsical, statues are everywhere.

Apart from the sights, Budapest offers a range of dining options.So far our favourite meals have been at the New York Cafe and on Spoon, the boat. At the former I had a great pork while Fletcher had a delicious duck. We also indulged in some tasty desserts. Spoon was more casual but had even yummier desserts. We have also eaten at our hotel, some standard hotel food, but they also have a Lebanese restaurant which we tried last night. Across from the hotel is an Italian place where we had a Diavolo pizza which was fiery but chewy. The Welcome dinner for the Championships was held at the Congress centre. Here we were entertained by local talent beginning with a drum band which was stirring. Then a traditional orchestra played Hungarian music while two artists drew some of the iconic sights of Budapest in liquid on a screen which was projected onto the large screens. I have never seen anything like it and was very impressed. The final act was a troupe of dancers, one group very modern while the others were in traditional costume. An excellent display of Hungarian talent. The food here was OK, starting with an entree of duck followed by beef. Good without being outstanding.

The other activities concern sport, mainly keeping up with the football of both kinds back in Australia. We stayed in our cabin on the first morning here, anxiously following the scores in both the Crows and the women's quarter final. We could not even live stream them but were so excited to see the score, especially for the Matildas. Yesterday we stayed in our room to watch the semifinal. The commentary was in Hungarian but what a game. Sam Kerr's goal was exceptional, but in the end England were too good. Fingers crossed for the play off for third place.

So far we have enjoyed all we have seen apart from feeling our age and not being able to walk as far. Fletcher is now at the Congress today and tomorrow while I have time to rest , catch up with this blog and relax. The real stuff starts on Saturday.




Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.356s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.084s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb