Day 36 - Budapest


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest » Pest
August 6th 2015
Published: August 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Wake up early and the sun is shining. We have just passed a little town with as usual, a church spire and other buildings close to the river. Up to the top deck and the river is as flat as a tack, great water skiing territory....

Breakfast is very nice, again, too hard to knock back. We are approaching Budapest and now there are quite a few on the deck. Prime positions have been grabbed already, but still lots of room. We get a broadcast of the sights on the way in. Different viewpoint of the town from the river. We glide past the Parliament building and then down past all the city bridges and do a U turn, made to look easy even though this ship is over 178 m long. Back to our docking position right next to the Market building.

Most people get off for the guided tour of the town and palace area (exact same trip we did 2 weeks ago so we pass on this one). We decide to wander at our own pace through the markets (our original visit was a bit rushed). Different aspect when you have time, we see lots more and buy some bits that we like. Back to the ship for lunch - another feast if you wanted to eat it all. At the same time the ship is re-positioning at the dock. The one we tied up against is leaving at 1200 so we have to move out to allow it room to go, then we move to the edge of the dock this time.

After lunch, we return to wander down the walking street (Vaci Utca). This is the souvenir, cafe/restaurant and fashion street of Budapest. A lot like Lygon Street, hassled at every door by spruikers trying to get you into their eatery. We decline all offers. We end up at the Chemist next to the Sofitel (where we stayed last time) to get some more Sunflower cream (original was given to Jane). All good. Back slowly along the river front and finally back on the ship. Rest time, shower then ready for dinner.

The tour director gives us a talk about the next 2 days activities, then to dinner. We sit with a Korean couple (Yung and Sunny). Nice couple who appeared very shy at first but in the end we had a good chat with them. I had seen the cricket scores so when a guy beside me asked if I knew the scores, I was able to crush his night. Ended up on the top deck with them watching the lights of the city with a nightcap. Another double couple traveling together. He used to be an Inspector in the NSW police involve in hostage negotiation. They now live in the Blue Mountains at Springwood.

Busy sort of nothing day that was a nice mix of stuff.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.351s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0884s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb