Visiting the marbles Elgin left behind


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
March 20th 2015
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.9833, 23.7333

After a restful night sleep, we awoke & had a complimentary continental breakfast which prepared us for a long day of walking ahead.

Our first port of call had to be the main attraction, The Acropolis! We headed just a short walk from the hotel and joined the gangs of tourists (mostly americans) climbing the hill towards the site. We stopped of firstly to gain a different perspective of the impressive Odeon of Herodes - we could just imagine the spectacle of watching a show in such a setting for a play. With a little more climbing we reached the Beule Gate which is the gateway into the Acropolis. We were just for a moment reminded of how spectacular it would have been in the time it was built to visit this amazing place. Once within the Acropolis we went and examined the Parthenon, which although the front section was covered in scaffolding, you could still see the beautiful nature of the building. We walked around the site and the views from the top allowed you to see the whole of Athens and many of the beautiful sights in the surrounding area.

We then walked round the Parthenon and went to admire the Erechtheion, which is said to be the part of the Acropolis which is held to be the most sacred place. We also got to marvel at the porch of the Caryatids & the temple of Poseidon. On the way out of the Acropolis we took a moment to gaze at the Temple of the Athena Nike which was up high on the site.

On the way out of the Acropolis we wandered slowly down the hill till we arrived at the outstanding Theatre of Dionysos, which back in its hay-day held 17,000 spectators to view various shows - although it held a lot less now you could still imagine the plays being acted out there.

After that amazing visit, we took a quick pit stop for a coffee before heading to the Acropolis Museum. This is quite a new development, but even in the entrance you can see below the structure where ruins were discovered and these are all exposed to see. Once inside there were amazing models showing the Acropolis right through its history - giving insight into the span of times and changes that have happened. The museum itself did not disappoint and we both learnt a lot about this history of the Acropolis (so much so that we both now consider ourselves experts - but just don't quiz us!).

Not deterred by the growth in our brain matter, being the explorers we are, we headed off to firstly see Hadrian's Arch. This arch historically separated the ancient & roman cities. We then hot-footed across to the spectacular Temple of the Olympian Zeus - this is the largest Temple in Athens and was build by Hadrian in 131 AD.

We then wandered along the streets of Athens until we came across the beautiful Panathenaic Stadium - this was the site of the first modern Olympic games in 1896. This is an amazing place and you can just imagine the spectacle those games must of been. We climbed the high steps to the top, before climbing back down, where Nicky finally found her throne to sit upon. There was a vaulted passaged to take which led to a small museum about the olympics and you could see all the olympic torches through history (well most!). There was even the place which is where each of the Olympic flames begin life before travelling to designated city for the Olympics. Although we were a bit too cool to try & compete to cross the line, each of us got a chance to stand on the winners podium to experience it.

We then took a walk through the National Gardens to get to the Parliament Square/ Syntagmatos, which is home to the greek parliament building (its not as spectacular as the houses of parliament), however does house the tomb of the unknown soldier. This is guarded at all times by the presidential guards, who wear fetching outfits of short kilts and pom pom shoes. Simon was eager to purchase a similar outfit, but unfortunately we could not find one in his size.

We then had a little break and a coffee before heading off to admire the Church of Kapnikarea, which although it looked a little out of place in the middle of the shopping street, was still beautiful. Following this we headed to the Athens Cathedral, however such is our luck that this also was undergoing renovation work so was shrouded in scaffolding & we were unable to see any of its features.

Truly exhausted by this point we headed for some dinner, and coffee before retreating back to the hotel for a well earned rest.

Advertisement



21st March 2015

Can't wait to see the photos x

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb