Santorini


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
September 15th 2015
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 36.4168, 25.4335

The sun peaks over the rim of the caldera as Connie sails into Santorini's crescent shaped bay. The whitewashed buildings of Fira the capital sparkle in the early sunshine. Apart from a smaller Seadream Yacht we are the only ship docked in Santorini. We have no real plans in Santorini today other than to get the tender boat ashore and visit Fira itself. We have been to Santorini many times before.

We eat breakfast in Oceanview Cafe. There is fried bread which I have not eaten in many a year. It's great with baked beans, (English) bacon and scrambled eggs. The pastries are excellent too. We spend an hour or so back in our cabin before changing to go ashore. Connie is using the port tender boats rather than her own and they come in all shapes and sizes. We get one of the larger ones and as a result it takes some time to fill up. Soon we are making our way ashore. We alight quickly to get ahead of the crowd and make for the cable car station. It's the quickest way up the steep sided caldera. The other being by donkey or by foot. After our escapades in Capri my calves are still sore and I would pity the donkey that would carry me.

Once up top we find a bar with great views for a soft drinks. We take too many pictures of Connie anchored below. Next we wander the narrow but pretty streets of Fira which is thronged with tourists all posing with their backs to the sea it seems. We find ourselves doing this.

Next we find a Taverna and order Greek Salads for lunch along with Mythos a beer which we really like. The salad is ok. Not the best we've had but far from the worst. There is a lot of red onion in it which I don't mind but Peter isn't keen. The bread with Olive Tapenade is also very good.

It's blisteringly hot by 1pm and so we head back down the cable car and to the tender boat back to the ship. Once aboard we change and head to the Solarium which is very quiet. We both bathe in the Thalassotherapy pool which is very warm. I figured it would be good for my back which is still very stiff and sore. We get a strawberry and Mango lava flow which was ok. Following this we have coffee and cake in Al Bacio and then a glass of wine on the pool deck.

The Sunset bar is the most crowded we have seen so far this cruise. Seats are a premium as people watch the sinking sun to the west in our wake. We sit at the bar and order our Jack Daniels and G&T's. The place empties a little once the sun has set and we get better seats soon after. We are undecided where to eat this evening. We always said we would try the Buffett for dinner one night but have never done so in 11 years of cruising. Before heading to the Martini Bar we check out the menu in San Marco and decide we would try the Buffett after all.

We try a new Martini tonight. A Blue Wave which was nice but a little too sweet before heading back up to the Oceanview Buffett. We make up our own tapas selection and then I opt for the delicious Lamb Curry. Peters ask the cooks to prepare him some grilled chicken and pork. I skip a dessert but Peter has a selection. We finish off back out on the sunset bar with a cheese plate and some wine. Very nice.

We have a flutter in the casino before heading back to our room at 11pm. Weare exhausted. Connie makes her way slowly eastward toward Rhodes.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb