Santorini


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
June 29th 2014
Published: June 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

SantoriniSantoriniSantorini

On the beach with the black sand
Santorini: Santorini officially Thira is an island in the Southern Aegean Sea, about 200 Km southeast of Greece’s mainland. Santorini is essentially what remains after an enormous volcanic eruption that destroyed the earliest settlements on a formerly single island, and created the current geological caldera. A giant central lagoon which measures about 12 X 7 Km is surrounded by 300 metre high steep cliffs on three sides. It forms the southernmost member of the Cyclades group of islands, with an area of approximately 73 square Km’s and a 2011 census population of 15,550.

Today we visited the township of Fira which is perched on the edge of a dramatic cliff, the island’s capital boasts a stunning combination of Cycladic and Venetian architecture, outstanding views of the submerged volcano and an aerial cable car transportation system. A volcanic eruption around 1650 B.C. created a huge water filled crater called the “caldera” where the fabled lost city of Atlantis is said to reside, leagues under the sea. This is referred to as the “Santorini Crater”.

What most stood out in my mind today was the price of diesel fuel and unleaded. There is no refinery on Santorini and yet unleaded fuel
SantoriniSantoriniSantorini

View from the restaurant where we had lunch just near the cable car.
is $1:80 a litre and diesel is $1:50 a litre. Myquestion is this why is diesel so expensive in Australia?

We had lunch today at a wonderful café that afforded the most unbelievable views over Santorini and the water our ship was even perched in the background. Picture postcard perfect. Tried to facetime the kids no luck there so settled for the next best option got on to the Sherriff and Lyn, also managed to speak to Denise and Keith albeit briefly, the video kept dropping out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

SantoriniSantorini
Santorini

One of the quaint little villages


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb