B5 Travel blog #3


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
October 11th 2013
Published: October 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Question: What does the familial structure look like in Greece? How does it differ from the familial structure in the Unites States?

http://www.greekcare.org.au/advice-and-information/greek-culture-and-tradition/family-and-gender-roles/

Greek traditional family structure is husband or father is the main authority figure and enforces discipline. The wife or mother is the focus of the house. the female family members take responsibility of the house, raising the children, and taking care of elderly in-laws. While the husband and father are the financial supporters of the family. All family members are expected to contribute and have an obligation to sustain it. Extended family is also important. Family obligations are to participate in family celebrations and religious occasions and caring for sick and elderly. Ageing parents live with the family and get cared for by family members.




The family structure for Greeks is like our family structures in the 1900's. Women were to stay in the house taking care of the children and the house. While men where expected to go out and work to provide for the family. Greek familial roles differ from United States familial roles because today in the United States Women and men share roles. Women can go out and work the no longer have to stay in the house and take care of the children and the house. While men are no longer obligated to be the providers they can be the care takers and and the women the providers. There is no longer a specific system of who does what.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb